Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher appreciation week ?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:24 AM
  • 5 Replies

my DD's school is having a teacher appreciation week ... I received an e-mail asking for donations / time / help to provide food, clean up duty and set up.

One of the duties is for each child to write an appreciation letter / drawing for their main teacher and another member of the staff which is cool.  For the donations, each platter of food provided must feed 12 people, there are multiple items requested each day for the full week (5 days).  Set up and clean up are mid-day

I feel kind of obligated to do this.  If I don't, I'm afraid it's gonna look bad for my daughter.  I know my daughter loves her teacher and it is a great school, I just find that the request is slightly over kill !  I have volunteered to provide food, I told them to give me 2 or 3 items that have not been picked off by the other parents. 

What are your opinions on this ?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I agree with you.

Pammi86
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I think this is a little much!

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know if there are any teachers in this group ... but I'm a little fed up of hearing how teachers have it SO hard.  They get 2 weeks off for Christmas, a full week off for spring break, usually a very long weekend for Easter and 8 weeks summer break + every single holiday out there.  They never have to put up with overtime ... ok yes they do for parent-teacher meetings.  But still ... even my DH who worked for a school board for a decade and is super PRO-teachers agrees that this whole week of appreciation thing is a little too much.

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:12 AM

It's a bit much. At our schools the PTO takes care of this stuff, we have Never asked parents to help.

johnny4ever
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I always did something for my sons Teacher and ignored the emails.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)