Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I got bad news yesterday.

Posted by   + Show Post

Most of you know my mom is in rehab in the hospital for breaking her hip. Looks like she might get out next week. The doctor called and told me mom has Dementia and can't live by herself any more. She has been here for over a year while paying rent at her apartment. She is so upset over this it isn't funny. I figured she might be starting to get Dementia or that it was just part of her age. But I guess the fall made it worse and he said this is normal. This is going to be so stressful dealing with this. Having her here against her will and all.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Her mom was in her 80s and the dementia had most probably started a year prior or so.  Then she broke her hip and it took another year give or take and she passed away.

My grand mother had this too ... she started acting funny while she still lived by herself, it's little things like losing the concept of time and normalcy ; my grand mother would forget to feed her cat, yet she loved that cat like nobody's business.  Or drinking booze at 9 o'clock in the morning (when she's never been a drinker) forgetting to bathe or eat.  And one day I told my mom you know what ? One day we'll go there , show up and she'll be dead because she tripped and fell, or passed out or had a heart attack.  So we also had to force her and fight her tooth and nails to be evaluated and placed in a home.  One day it happened, they found her on the floor, in her room at the home,  she had some kind of stroke, she never recovered.  She died shortly after.

Quoting Janet:

Does it progress that fast?

Quoting Jinxed8:

My friend JUST went through this ... her mother fell and broke her hip and never recovered.  They also diagnosed her with dementia.   My friend took her in and cared for her until the end.  It was NOT an easy process for anyone, dementia is terrible.  They basically regress to a child like state, where they have to wear diapers, take naps, be fed and be under constant supervision and they don't remember something you told them 5 minutes prior some can get nasty and aggressive.  My friend's mom passed away a few days before Christmas last december.  very sad

I wish you the best, the next few months won't be easy.   

HopeAlive
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Oh I'm so sorry... That doesn't sound easy. I'm new to this group, so I don't know some of the background, but do you have family around to help you?

DomsMama07
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:33 PM
It's going to be a tough road but you will get through it. What kind of dementia does she have? Some are harder to handle then others. I work with dementia patients.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I'm sorry about your grandmother and your friends mom.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Her mom was in her 80s and the dementia had most probably started a year prior or so.  Then she broke her hip and it took another year give or take and she passed away.

My grand mother had this too ... she started acting funny while she still lived by herself, it's little things like losing the concept of time and normalcy ; my grand mother would forget to feed her cat, yet she loved that cat like nobody's business.  Or drinking booze at 9 o'clock in the morning (when she's never been a drinker) forgetting to bathe or eat.  And one day I told my mom you know what ? One day we'll go there , show up and she'll be dead because she tripped and fell, or passed out or had a heart attack.  So we also had to force her and fight her tooth and nails to be evaluated and placed in a home.  One day it happened, they found her on the floor, in her room at the home,  she had some kind of stroke, she never recovered.  She died shortly after.

Quoting Janet:

Quoting Jinxed8:

My friend JUST went through this ... her mother fell and broke her hip and never recovered.  They also diagnosed her with dementia.   My friend took her in and cared for her until the end.  It was NOT an easy process for anyone, dementia is terrible.  They basically regress to a child like state, where they have to wear diapers, take naps, be fed and be under constant supervision and they don't remember something you told them 5 minutes prior some can get nasty and aggressive.  My friend's mom passed away a few days before Christmas last december.  very sad

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:09 PM

All there is, is mom, my brother and I on my side of the family. I am married so my husband of course. I have older kids. One is chronically ill. One that would help the best he can. The other, he turned into his wife, not so nice of a person like he use to be. Sad but true.

Quoting HopeAlive:

Oh I'm so sorry... That doesn't sound easy. I'm new to this group, so I don't know some of the background, but do you have family around to help you?

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I have no idea. I never knew there were different kinds!

Quoting DomsMama07: It's going to be a tough road but you will get through it. What kind of dementia does she have? Some are harder to handle then others. I work with dementia patients.

HopeAlive
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Aww, it sounds like you've got a lot going on there... I so wish I could help somehow! How is your husband feeling about the news?

Quoting Janet:

All there is, is mom, my brother and I on my side of the family. I am married so my husband of course. I have older kids. One is chronically ill. One that would help the best he can. The other, he turned into his wife, not so nice of a person like he use to be. Sad but true.

Quoting HopeAlive:

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

group hug

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Well my grand mother is better off now.  I'm just grateful she got to meet my daughter before she passed. Hope all goes well with your mother ; I'm sorry you have to go through this, it can't be easy ... how old is your mom ?

Quoting Janet:

I'm sorry about your grandmother and your friends mom.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting Janet:

Quoting Jinxed8:

celestegood
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:30 PM
No it takes years. Sorry to butt in.

Quoting Janet:

Quoting Jinxed8:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)