Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I got bad news yesterday.

Posted by   + Show Post

Most of you know my mom is in rehab in the hospital for breaking her hip. Looks like she might get out next week. The doctor called and told me mom has Dementia and can't live by herself any more. She has been here for over a year while paying rent at her apartment. She is so upset over this it isn't funny. I figured she might be starting to get Dementia or that it was just part of her age. But I guess the fall made it worse and he said this is normal. This is going to be so stressful dealing with this. Having her here against her will and all.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Replies (31-40):
mindful23
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM
Your mum needs 24/7 care. Its a horrible illness to watch a much loved and caring mom suffer from. It can be stressful on you and your family.

Hun just enjoy the moments you have with her. Big hugs to you and your mama.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!!

Quoting HopeAlive:

Yeah, that makes sense...

I found a couple of article series about caring for aging parents or loved ones. They might give you some good insights. :) One is called Caring for Ill or Aging Parents and the other is called Becoming Your Loved One's Caregiver. I really like that in the second one there's a section all about the importance of caring for yourself as well.

Hang in there, friend. I know this season ahead may not be easy, but with you're gonna do an amazing job. Sending prayers and hugs your way!!

Quoting Janet:

Aww thanks, that is so sweet of you. He isn't saying much. I don't think he realizes it isn't going to be easy.

Quoting HopeAlive:

Aww, it sounds like you've got a lot going on there... I so wish I could help somehow! How is your husband feeling about the news?

Quoting Janet:

All there is, is mom, my brother and I on my side of the family. I am married so my husband of course. I have older kids. One is chronically ill. One that would help the best he can. The other, he turned into his wife, not so nice of a person like he use to be. Sad but true.

Quoting HopeAlive:

Oh I'm so sorry... That doesn't sound easy. I'm new to this group, so I don't know some of the background, but do you have family around to help you?

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Thanks.

Quoting MistressMinerva:

Sorry to hear.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Who cares for her?

Quoting MistressMinerva:

My mother inlaw has it.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:36 PM
Quoting Janet:

Who cares for her?

Quoting MistressMinerva:

My mother inlaw has it.

My husband's sister.
MunchiesMom324
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:04 PM
I feel for you. We recently had my mil move in with us due to severe flu and pneumonia that revealed CHF. It looks like a permanent arrangement,since the lack of proper blood flow is causing memory/lucidity issues.

Good luck...?
JT33
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Sorry to hear that, keep prayer in play 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I will thanks.

Quoting JT33:

Sorry to hear that, keep prayer in play 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:17 PM

My mom has HF. She is on oxygen in there and they can't get her off. I asked, them to do a x-ray last week they refused and said she was fine. I heard her wheezing.

NOW she is having a real hard time breathing and wheezing. NOW they ordered an x-ray.

Quoting MunchiesMom324: I feel for you. We recently had my mil move in with us due to severe flu and pneumonia that revealed CHF. It looks like a permanent arrangement,since the lack of proper blood flow is causing memory/lucidity issues.

Good luck...?

goodmama85
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM
I'm
So sorry :( my great grandmother god bless her soul had it.it was terrible.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)