Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I got bad news yesterday.

Posted by   + Show Post

Most of you know my mom is in rehab in the hospital for breaking her hip. Looks like she might get out next week. The doctor called and told me mom has Dementia and can't live by herself any more. She has been here for over a year while paying rent at her apartment. She is so upset over this it isn't funny. I figured she might be starting to get Dementia or that it was just part of her age. But I guess the fall made it worse and he said this is normal. This is going to be so stressful dealing with this. Having her here against her will and all.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Replies (41-48):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM

How are things going for you all taking care of her?

Quoting MunchiesMom324: I feel for you. We recently had my mil move in with us due to severe flu and pneumonia that revealed CHF. It looks like a permanent arrangement,since the lack of proper blood flow is causing memory/lucidity issues.

Good luck...?

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Thanks.

Quoting goodmama85: I'm
So sorry :( my great grandmother god bless her soul had it.it was terrible.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Thanks hun.

Quoting mindful23: Your mum needs 24/7 care. Its a horrible illness to watch a much loved and caring mom suffer from. It can be stressful on you and your family.

Hun just enjoy the moments you have with her. Big hugs to you and your mama.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Thanks, I'm sorry to hear that.

Quoting goodmama85: I'm
So sorry :( my great grandmother god bless her soul had it.it was terrible.

MunchiesMom324
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 6:07 PM
Its only been a few days, its been interesting. She is used to living alone and i am used to being the alpha female (err, only female) ... shes feisty!

Caring for her needs isnt that hard, but i am trying to keep my four boys in line when their household has been shaken up and the chaos is hard to deal with. We were also low on space before she came, so im feeling a bit claustrophobic. Dh is very understanding and supportive of me, so i know hes got my back.

How are things going with you?

Quoting Janet:

Quoting MunchiesMom324: I feel for you. We recently had my mil move in with us due to severe flu and pneumonia that revealed CHF. It looks like a permanent arrangement,since the lack of proper blood flow is causing memory/lucidity issues.

Good luck...?

Kellileanne
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 6:12 PM
My grandma has it. She is now in a home after issues getting her to eat or drink enough. She also has diabetes and high bp. Grandpa just couldn't do it all by himself anymore. It is hard, she doesn't know who I am and hasn't for at least a year. She loved our visits but would ask the same questions several times, couldn't tie her shoes, had to be told what she liked to eat at restaurants. I hate seeing her that way. :( trying to hold on to memories from 4+yrs ago.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Now she has water around her lungs because they weren't giving her her water pills like they were supposed to. She has CHF. I told the doctor last week to take an ex-ray because she was wheezing. He said she sounded clear and didn't need one. Now she is bad and needed one all of the sudden! They let it get bad before they acted. They aren't very smart if you ask me. I'm losing my patience with them.

Quoting MunchiesMom324: Its only been a few days, its been interesting. She is used to living alone and i am used to being the alpha female (err, only female) ... shes feisty!

Caring for her needs isnt that hard, but i am trying to keep my four boys in line when their household has been shaken up and the chaos is hard to deal with. We were also low on space before she came, so im feeling a bit claustrophobic. Dh is very understanding and supportive of me, so i know hes got my back.

How are things going with you?

Quoting Janet:

Good luck...?

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:01 AM

I know that has to be hard.

Quoting Kellileanne: My grandma has it. She is now in a home after issues getting her to eat or drink enough. She also has diabetes and high bp. Grandpa just couldn't do it all by himself anymore. It is hard, she doesn't know who I am and hasn't for at least a year. She loved our visits but would ask the same questions several times, couldn't tie her shoes, had to be told what she liked to eat at restaurants. I hate seeing her that way. :( trying to hold on to memories from 4+yrs ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)