Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Staging a Home, any tips??!!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:05 PM
  • 33 Replies

So some of you know we are selling our home and moving. This weekend I want to get started on clearing out and staging the rooms. I'm hoping to list it this month. I know to take down personal photos and get rid of clutter but does anyone have any other tips for me?

sweeping

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2m2t
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never sold a house but we have bought our own last summer. I can tell you that personal things are not as bad as a house smelling bad, not enough light, old paint and dirt on the walls. I would try to point out the best points of the house like... large storage space, organize it so it would appeal the visitors, organize your garage, your kitchen... Many people have no imagination and they buy what they see... so, make the best out of your house.

Quoting goddess99:

So some of you know we are selling our home and moving. This weekend I want to get started on clearing out and staging the rooms. I'm hoping to list it this month. I know to take down personal photos and get rid of clutter but does anyone have any other tips for me?

sweeping

dalbax2
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:26 PM
I have seen some shows where they have candles burning. Put a pot of citrus peels on the stove and let it simmer. Other than that you already know about clutter and personal photos. Good Luck.
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Good tips! When we look at homes I think - our couch would look nice here or our bed would fit here but I guess not everyone does that, ok good to know! We are going to move out some big furniture we don't use often to make the rooms look bigger.

Quoting 2m2t:

I have never sold a house but we have bought our own last summer. I can tell you that personal things are not as bad as a house smelling bad, not enough light, old paint and dirt on the walls. I would try to point out the best points of the house like... large storage space, organize it so it would appeal the visitors, organize your garage, your kitchen... Many people have no imagination and they buy what they see... so, make the best out of your house.

Quoting goddess99:

sweeping

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

These are good tips too. Better than spraying stuff around.

Quoting dalbax2: I have seen some shows where they have candles burning. Put a pot of citrus peels on the stove and let it simmer. Other than that you already know about clutter and personal photos. Good Luck.

maggiem321
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't forget to make the outside of the home look as good as you can too. Drive up appeal makes a difference. We sold our home a few months and actually put alot of stuff in a storage unit just to get it out of the way till we moved. I think what everyone else said is right on.

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Good idea, I'll clear my porch off. That would have been one of those things I forget about. I never use the front door so I don't really see the porch that often lol. Thank you!

Quoting maggiem321:

Don't forget to make the outside of the home look as good as you can too. Drive up appeal makes a difference. We sold our home a few months and actually put alot of stuff in a storage unit just to get it out of the way till we moved. I think what everyone else said is right on.

TAG_ur_it
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:01 PM

I guess I could use this advice too.  Our landlords are selling the place we're living in and apparently, WE hve to stage it. We still have 7 months on our lease and the property is not being sold as a rental.  I have no idea what they're planning to do with us if they actually sell.  

KW1280
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Take vanilla extract and a dropper and put a few drops in a pot of warm water makes your house smell like home. Have a folder about nearby schools, restaurants, activities and emergency numbers, if you have pets address allergy issues like you have a allergen reducing filter or you use HEPA filters. Always have you curtains open so light can shine in. Show off your homes best features
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Oh that's kind of scary. They are selling your home out from under you. Good luck finding a new place. Hope some of these tips help you as well.

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

I guess I could use this advice too.  Our landlords are selling the place we're living in and apparently, WE hve to stage it. We still have 7 months on our lease and the property is not being sold as a rental.  I have no idea what they're planning to do with us if they actually sell.  

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Great tips. I never would have thought of the folder idea. ok Thank you!! The allergen idea is good too!

Quoting KW1280: Take vanilla extract and a dropper and put a few drops in a pot of warm water makes your house smell like home. Have a folder about nearby schools, restaurants, activities and emergency numbers, if you have pets address allergy issues like you have a allergen reducing filter or you use HEPA filters. Always have you curtains open so light can shine in. Show off your homes best features

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)