Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Okay PLEASE don't bash me for this but. . .

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM
  • 24 Replies

As awful as this is going to sound, during my first pregnancy with my daughter I smoked the whole time. I was young and didn't even try to cut back at all. With that being said, my daughter was born a very healthy 7lbs 6oz. She has no health problems, and she is a very normal child.

Here it is 7 years later and I am pregnant again. I spoke with my doctor about quitting and she is going to let me have the patch, but my appointment isn't until the 21st. She said I could continue to smoke until then just to cut back.

Anyway my question is about the American Spirit cigarettes. I picked up a pack today because I hear that they are 100% natural and have no additives or chemicals in them. That's got to be better for you right? Has any other mom smoked these while pregnant?

Like the title says, Please don't bash me. I don't want to hear whining about how horrible smoking is blah blah blah because I know and I am on the road to quitting. I'm just curious if anyone else has smoked while pregnant and if so how did it turn out in the end? How hard was it for you to quit?

bummed_out

by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know, sorry. I'm not a smoker. Hope someone can help though. Good Luck! and Congrats!

amonkeymom
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I didn't smoke during my pregnancies, but my SIL did.  Of course, I still have concerns about the long term effects of her smoking on my nieces.

Follow your doctor's advice, just try to cut down until you're able to get to a point where you don't smoke at all.  I think that's much better than trying to cut them off cold turkey while pregnant.  As for the brand you mentioned, I've never heard of it.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Feb. 7, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Never smoked.

splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 7, 2014 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck quitting & congrats! 

pippi311
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 3:35 PM
3 moms liked this

I quit cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant and didn't look back. The health and well being of my child was my #1 priority.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you quitting cold turkey is worse than smoking due to "stress". The harm from smoking is way worse than any stress you will get from quitting.

I don't know about American Spirit as it wasn't my brand, but I would recommend at least cutting way back on your smoking. Or you could think about trying the electronic vapor cigarettes.

NiceMom06
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Sorry but I quit as soon as we started ttc. Good luck

Aamy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Eh sorry I gave up any selfish habits while prego ..... good luck. But I don't see why you just don't stop. Your dd was lol lucky she is ok but you don't know her health issues down the road. Second hand smoke and all. Why risk another baby to something that you can stop putting into your body.....
Bamsmom2012
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 4:13 PM

If you are looking at purely health reasons... i'm not sure if they are pure tobacco it should say it on the pack. If so then yes it makes them healthier than regular cigs just from the lack of chemicals. But all in all the act of breathing anything other than oxy is harmful to the body if done enough. Good luck on your road to quiting i think it's a great start. Keep strong and ignore any bashing. I only smoked for about 2 years in highschool. a social thing mostly just quit one day. I do realize it is MUCH harder for a lot of people. I have known many people who have tried and failed and i have known people who have tried and succeeded so you just have to know what you really want.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 4:52 PM

I smoked while pregnant too but I cut WAY back to 2 or 3 cigarettes a day and by the end of the pregnancy had quit completely .  My daughter was born perfectly healthy 7lbs 2oz, no asthma, no issues at all.  From what I'm told, the toxins come from the tobacco leaves themselves, the chemicals added to the tobacco is what makes it addictive.  Do the best you can, quit if at all possible, you will get bashed for smoking while pregnant, but what's done is done. 

I know A LOT of women who smoked while pregnant and had perfectly healthy babies, on the other hand, I know a lot of girls who followed to guide lines to a T and their babies have all kinds of health problems ... I had a friend who adopted two little girls from a crack addicted mother who never even had a prenatal test and they're normal too !   Go figure, sometimes nothing makes sense.  Good Luck and congrats

LillysMom585
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Thank you guys. I looked up American Spirit and they really are chemical free. Just dried tobacco and that's it. I love the fact that I asked for no bashing because I am aware that it is a selfish habit (Aamy) yet got a little stab in the side anyhow...excuse me miss holier than thou... didn't do much except cause me to roll my eyes. At least I AM trying.

We don't smoke in our home so there is no second hand smoke. When I want a cigarette I have to go outside and it's cold so I don't even smoke the whole thing. It's not like I'm drinking beer and partying like a wild child. Now THAT would be selfish.

I figure if I manage to quit smoking completely by the end of this pregnancy there's really no need to pick the habit back up again. So thanks for the luck wishes guys! Let's hope I'm on the road to becoming a non-smoker!! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN