Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Emergency to-do list

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:27 AM
  • 21 Replies

Ok, so with the snow coming, again, what do you do to get ready for possible power outages, frozen pipes, etc?

We will prepare some extras today in the kitchen: banana bread, hard-boiled eggs, cookies. A stack of blankets at the bottom of everyone's bed. Washing all the good "layering" clothes. Checking batteries/flashlights. Filling a few gallon jugs with water. Charging all tablets, phones, portable DVD player.

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Hmm never thought about it really. Our winters are harsh, I'm just used to it.

12yrmama
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:36 AM

In NC we are not used to it, lol. At least dh and I are from the north. But here two inches closing schools, stores, for DAYS. So we can't rely on city road clearings or anything to be weather ready.

Quoting goddess99:

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:38 AM

same here but I make sure we have candles at all times and flashlights in case of power outage.

Quoting goddess99:

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Wow that's crazy. We probably have 12 feet of snow and the warmest it's been in weeks is -10. And everything here is open, including schools.

Quoting 12yrmama:

In NC we are not used to it, lol. At least dh and I are from the north. But here two inches closing schools, stores, for DAYS. So we can't rely on city road clearings or anything to be weather ready.

Quoting goddess99:

MaineMammax2
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:47 AM
It's a very common occurrence here so we are just ready to be ready. We have a wood stove so that helps a lot. I cook on it if necessary.
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:19 AM

We don't get bad winters here in Tn.

jwaren
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Fill gas tanks in vehicles is a big one.  

Propane/charcoal for a bbq to cook on.  

Have some games, stories on hand to help pass the time.

12yrmama
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

2 wks ago: schools closed 3 days for 1 inch. We have some very rural areas; buses couldn't drive them.

Remember all the craziness you heard about Georgia a little while ago? The south freaks at snow, because cities/ppl can't prepare for the once-in-20-yrs snow fall.

This week we might get 10 inches. The world will end.

Quoting goddess99:

Wow that's crazy. We probably have 12 feet of snow and the warmest it's been in weeks is -10. And everything here is open, including schools.

Quoting 12yrmama:

Quoting goddess99:

12yrmama
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:53 AM

:) yup filled my tank yesterday, and cleaned the grill. I also just pulled out new toys from the switch-out bin. Fingers crossed!

Quoting jwaren:

Fill gas tanks in vehicles is a big one.  

Propane/charcoal for a bbq to cook on.  

Have some games, stories on hand to help pass the time.

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:05 PM

LOL wow I'd be so angry living there.

Quoting 12yrmama:

2 wks ago: schools closed 3 days for 1 inch. We have some very rural areas; buses couldn't drive them.

Remember all the craziness you heard about Georgia a little while ago? The south freaks at snow, because cities/ppl can't prepare for the once-in-20-yrs snow fall.

This week we might get 10 inches. The world will end.

Quoting goddess99:

Quoting 12yrmama:

Quoting goddess99:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)