Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do Your Kids Play With Your Phone?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 1:43 PM
  • 14 Replies

9 Funniest Things Kids Have Done With Our Phones While We Weren't Looking

by Jenny Erikson

There’s no doubt that kids are growing up in a very different technological world than we did back in the day. For example, not a single parent today was ever handed an iPhone to keep them entertained while mom or dad went about their business in peace. But many parents today don’t think twice about it. At least until our kids do something with our phones to mess with us -- intentionally or unintentionally.

For example, world heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez tweeted a picture of some Barbie wallpaper over the weekend, which doesn’t exactly sound like something a guy at the top of the MMA world would do. Until you read his next tweet, which explains that his four-year-old daughter had “hacked” his phone.

Oh man, I think we’ve all been there to some degree. So we asked real parents what kinds of snafus they’ve run into when it comes to their kids and their phone.

1. My son changed everything on my phone to Spanish when we went to Mexico. He's also reversed all the colors so it's all negative.
  2. My 2-year-old (then 1 and change) sent an email to a writer at work that just said “Z.” The writer, who was waiting for my response on a story, wrote back in utter confusion: “Z? What do you mean, Z?”
  3. Baby jerked her arm and opened my ex's linked in profile (it was in the sidebar under people you may know). Now I look like a stalker.
  4. My son has learned to take my wife's phone shot a video of her and turn into a JibJab like video and he knows how to upload to her FB business page. She has an avid following and they respond quickly!
  5. The two-year-old called my mom’s best friend four times in a row once … and I think she even started talking one of the times the poor woman picked up.
  6. She tends to move things around on me, so I can't find them. I have very specific apps down on my toolbar (I guess that's what it's called), and she'll move them so all of a sudden I can HEAR that I'm getting emails, but I can't find my email inbox! 
  7. My toddler took a whole series of photos of herself while my brother and I were walking her in the stroller and caught our expressions (frame by frame) once we realized what she was doing!
  8. My infant likes to crawl on my keyboard and once left a comment that looked something like xohfedfhofhoieuoj on a national groups page. I didn't even know until a friend sent me a message that pointed it out.
  9. His kindergarten teacher called before the school year started to say hi. He answered the phone and had a 10 minute conversation with her before I even knew she had called.

What monkey business has your little monkey gotten into on your phone?

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:04 PM

my BFF's daughter called 9-1-1 one time off of her cell phone, the police showed up and she had to answer the door in her pajamas. Not her proudest moment.

I personally have never let DD play with my phone, only while waiting at the doctor's office or something so she can play a game and not die of boredom.  Or if she needs to make a call and DH is already on the phone, then she can use my phone.

mrsnoble2004
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:06 PM

My kids don't play with my phone, then again I don't have a smartphone, iphone, or something the size of a small tablet to make calls with. If nothing else it's referred to as a "stupidphone" because it has no camera and I can't even get pictures in a text. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I've never had a phone that did all sorts of things. My dd has never played with it.

splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 11, 2014 at 3:33 PM

So funny! My dd just likes to take about a million pictures. My friend came over one day and let Kaitlyn play with her phone. By the time she left she had about 300 extra pictures on there lol. 

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 3:49 PM

After having the police at our house a few weeks ago, I no longer allow them to use my phone. Nothing like having the police show up on your doorstep all because the 5 year old wanted to call 911 :/

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Feb. 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I let my grandson play a free game on my phone one time and he ended up purchasing a $20 game.

Tiredmom53
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 4:38 PM

No he has his own phone

12yrmama
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM

No. I can't go out and replace it same day and I HAVE to have it for work and kids school. They have their own toys.

I think some ppl treat their cell as a gadget/toy first and phone second. Mine is the other way; a phone that happens to have a few cool features.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Feb. 11, 2014 at 5:16 PM
No he has a play one and oldest has his own.
ria719
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:28 PM

sh kept calling ac moore and they threaten to call the police on me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)