Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

pyelectasis.. fluid around kidneys.

Posted by   + Show Post
I am currently 26w along. And at 22 weeks I had a 3d ultrasound due to our health background (my husband has a cleft lip, so we were making sure the baby's face was developing properly) well the doctor found a decent amount of fluid build up around one of his kidneys. Its called pyelectasis. We have to go back at 32 weeks (in march) for another 3d ultrasound to check on his kidney. Has anyone else had this happen? Did it develope or did the fluid stay? What will they do when he is born? I just hate to google, I'd rather hear from others that have been through it.
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Replies (11-13):
zacmacsmomm
by Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:40 PM

My 14 year old daughter just had that procedure done.  My son had it done when he was 2. 

Quoting millasmum:

My ultrasound showed hydronephrosis throughout my pregnancy. They the did an ultrasound on my daughter when she was a week or two old, which confirmed the hydronephrosis. We ended up going going to Children's in Boston for another procedure, to determine if she had reflux in her kidneys. Which she did, it's called vesicoreatal reflux, she had grade four bilaterally. She outgrew it at three years old, so she did not need the surgery to correct it

bth.klh
by Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 10:25 PM
That is really weird!
And I'm glad to hear that he can grow out of it.. I've been through a lot of med problems with my two year old and was devastated to think our next baby would have to go through the trauma too. My son has been having sevear nightmares since sept because of all the doctors and surgeries. Now he even has a hard time going to wic because of it. He won't let anyone hardly touch him.

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

His didn't go away right after birth.  But it did correct itself by the time he was 3 or 4 I think.  Surgery is not usually done, so even if your baby does still have it, I wouldn't worry too much.  Chances are they will just watch it, usually just doing ultra-sounds.  Wanna know something weird?  My 14 year old daughter was JUST diagnosised with hydronephrosis!!  Ugh. 

Quoting bth.klh: Pyelectasis is a lighter form of hydronephrosis. When the build up is less then 10mm but more than 4mm. I go back in march to see if it has enlarged more or gone away.. did yoyr sons go away? Did he have surgeries or anything after birth?

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

Well I don't know about that, but my son had Hydronephrosis in his left kidney.  They found it in an ultra sound that was done when I was 6 months pregnant.  Best of luck!

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Yea, I know that one.  My son had some other rather major issues as well. 

Quoting bth.klh: That is really weird!
And I'm glad to hear that he can grow out of it.. I've been through a lot of med problems with my two year old and was devastated to think our next baby would have to go through the trauma too. My son has been having sevear nightmares since sept because of all the doctors and surgeries. Now he even has a hard time going to wic because of it. He won't let anyone hardly touch him.

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

His didn't go away right after birth.  But it did correct itself by the time he was 3 or 4 I think.  Surgery is not usually done, so even if your baby does still have it, I wouldn't worry too much.  Chances are they will just watch it, usually just doing ultra-sounds.  Wanna know something weird?  My 14 year old daughter was JUST diagnosised with hydronephrosis!!  Ugh. 

Quoting bth.klh: Pyelectasis is a lighter form of hydronephrosis. When the build up is less then 10mm but more than 4mm. I go back in march to see if it has enlarged more or gone away.. did yoyr sons go away? Did he have surgeries or anything after birth?

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

Well I don't know about that, but my son had Hydronephrosis in his left kidney.  They found it in an ultra sound that was done when I was 6 months pregnant.  Best of luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN