Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Where would you go for job or education advice?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 8:27 PM
  • 15 Replies

I need some, but I'm not sure where to go. I'm sure there's somewhere, right?

by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OBImomma
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:07 PM
What type of education? I went to a local university, dh went to a community college. You can call and set up an appointment with an advisor to discuss education options.

I'd look online for places that are hiring. Libraries, hospitals, retail all have jobs that don't require a college degree
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jilectan
by Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I do have a college degree, it's an AA in general studies. I've checked the local libraries, none of them are hiring. I'll check hospital sites, I guess. I've never worked retail, though, so I'd be flying blind there. Know of any good places to check that might be good for someone with no experience in retail? I've worked fast food and a library and that's it.

Quoting OBImomma: What type of education? I went to a local university, dh went to a community college. You can call and set up an appointment with an advisor to discuss education options.

I'd look online for places that are hiring. Libraries, hospitals, retail all have jobs that don't require a college degree

OBImomma
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:22 PM
Kohls, jcp. I'd look somewhere you like to shop bc a lot of places give an employee discount. My bil worked at Kohl's he really liked it.
I've worked at a hospital, library and as a nanny. I've been a sahm for almost 7 years now so I might not be too helpful

Quoting Jilectan:

I do have a college degree, it's an AA in general studies. I've checked the local libraries, none of them are hiring. I'll check hospital sites, I guess. I've never worked retail, though, so I'd be flying blind there. Know of any good places to check that might be good for someone with no experience in retail? I've worked fast food and a library and that's it.

Quoting OBImomma: What type of education? I went to a local university, dh went to a community college. You can call and set up an appointment with an advisor to discuss education options.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jilectan
by Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Sadly, I hate shopping. The only places I like to shop are bookstores and there aren't many of those in my area. I'll check into those, too, though I guess.

Quoting OBImomma: Kohls, jcp. I'd look somewhere you like to shop bc a lot of places give an employee discount. My bil worked at Kohl's he really liked it.
I've worked at a hospital, library and as a nanny. I've been a sahm for almost 7 years now so I might not be too helpful

Quoting Jilectan:

mjmorrison
by Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:52 PM

most state governments have a labor dept with job training and advice. some educational programs are free.

Jilectan
by Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 10:57 PM

I hadn't thought of that, thanks! I'll look into it.

Quoting mjmorrison:

most state governments have a labor dept with job training and advice. some educational programs are free.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:46 AM

You may check at the library...someone there may be able to help you with some reference info.

mamavalor
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:20 PM

What you do like to do?  Check with employers in those fields.  Most school districts list their vacancies on their websites.  I would talk to friends and get the word out that you are looking for a job.

Jilectan
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I don't really have many friends. Pretty sad, I know. And I can't ask my relatives (I only have a few in town) or ILs (they're worse off than we are).

Our local school district is talking about cutting pay again, they're more in a firing/retiring mode than a hiring one. We're in SoCal, so the job market sucks.

I guess I need to sit down and figure out what I really want to do. Then go from there. Thanks.

Quoting mamavalor:

What you do like to do?  Check with employers in those fields.  Most school districts list their vacancies on their websites.  I would talk to friends and get the word out that you are looking for a job.

mamavalor
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Have faith.  Good luck to you.

Quoting Jilectan:

I don't really have many friends. Pretty sad, I know. And I can't ask my relatives (I only have a few in town) or ILs (they're worse off than we are).

Our local school district is talking about cutting pay again, they're more in a firing/retiring mode than a hiring one. We're in SoCal, so the job market sucks.

I guess I need to sit down and figure out what I really want to do. Then go from there. Thanks.

Quoting mamavalor:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN