Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

potty training? help!

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:50 AM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
I need some help.. my son is going to be two next month. Over the past few weeks he has been telling me when he pees or poops and when he wants changed. When I change him he doesn't want the diaper. He loves his big boy underwear. BUT the problem is, he has no interest in his potty chair. He doesn't want a diaper. But doesn't want to pee in the potty. What do I do?
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mishy2
by Michelle on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:32 PM

If you leave him in underwear, where does he pee... in his pants?

Have you tried a sticker chart or a reward chart for peeing in the potty? How about skipping the potty alltogether and just using the "big boy toilet"..?

Quoting bth.klh: I need some help.. my son is going to be two next month. Over the past few weeks he has been telling me when he pees or poops and when he wants changed. When I change him he doesn't want the diaper. He loves his big boy underwear. BUT the problem is, he has no interest in his potty chair. He doesn't want a diaper. But doesn't want to pee in the potty. What do I do?

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat. Join us today!                
http://www.cafemom.com/group/119876

bth.klh
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM
He pees in his underwear and is very upset when he does. We have tried rewards of his favorite snacks and stickers. Tried putting the chair in different places he might be comfortable. We have tried both the potty chair and toilet.. standing and sitting. He doesn't want a diaper but doesn't like to sit on the potty.

Quoting Mishy2:

Have you tried a sticker chart or a reward chart for peeing in the potty? How about skipping the potty alltogether and just using the "big boy toilet"..?

Quoting bth.klh: I need some help.. my son is going to be two next month. Over the past few weeks he has been telling me when he pees or poops and when he wants changed. When I change him he doesn't want the diaper. He loves his big boy underwear. BUT the problem is, he has no interest in his potty chair. He doesn't want a diaper. But doesn't want to pee in the potty. What do I do?

Mishy2
by Michelle on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Maybe sit him on the toilet for a few minutes (5 or so) every 20 minutes or so, and encourage him to pee in the potty or toilet. If he does, then big time praise. Have you tried putting cheerios in the toilet and getting him to pee in the toilet standing up and "aiming for and sinking" the cheerios? I heard it works sometimes.

Quoting bth.klh: He pees in his underwear and is very upset when he does. We have tried rewards of his favorite snacks and stickers. Tried putting the chair in different places he might be comfortable. We have tried both the potty chair and toilet.. standing and sitting. He doesn't want a diaper but doesn't like to sit on the potty.

Quoting Mishy2:

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat. Join us today!                
http://www.cafemom.com/group/119876

splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:42 PM
Just keep trying! Eventually it will click that if he doesn't want to be wet he has to use his potty. I would explain it to him each time he is wet too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Oh, and have you tried books or movies? My DS loved Elmo's Potty Time dvd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:47 PM

maybe go out and let him pick out a potty just for himself?  

supermonstermom
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I agree with the other mom, just put him on his potty for a few minutes every half hour or so, and be really over excited when he goes pee. 

bth.klh
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:07 AM
That's the problemcwe are having.. he won't even sit on it for longer than 30 seconds. We have tried tv, snacks, drinks, games, books. I can't figure out why me won't sit on it. But he likes to play with the potty chair; just not on it.

Quoting supermonstermom:

I agree with the other mom, just put him on his potty for a few minutes every half hour or so, and be really over excited when he goes pee. 

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Keep working with him....each one is different with the potty training...I used the rewards with my youngest dd...He will get it:)

supermonstermom
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:10 AM

For my oldest I had a clip board with coloring pages and special markers he could only use when he was sitting on the potty. My daughter it was special doll she could only have on the potty.  My youngest it was a dinosaur that roared.  I kept the "potty toys" on a high shelf in the linen closet.  It helped them sit there for a minute or two, then we put it up.. well execpt the oldest, I put his coloring pages up when he finished the picture. ;)

Quoting bth.klh: That's the problemcwe are having.. he won't even sit on it for longer than 30 seconds. We have tried tv, snacks, drinks, games, books. I can't figure out why me won't sit on it. But he likes to play with the potty chair; just not on it.

Quoting supermonstermom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN