Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Congested baby

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:33 AM
  • 13 Replies
My little one is five weeks old now. Ive tried as hard as I could to keep my 3 year old away from the baby because she has a cold. Obviously I failed because the baby was really stuffed up all night. I used the bulb syringe several times to suction out her nose. The only place she slept was on my chest while I sat up. Even with that she was having a hard time breathing. Since she is so little, is there anything I can do to help get rid of all this snot?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Feb. 18, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Bump

OBImomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 6:17 PM
You van run a warm or cool mist humidifier, suction her nose, they have a saline spray to spary up her nose. It thins the mucous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meanolduglyoldm
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 7:53 PM
Sit with her in the bathroom with a cold shower running for 10 mins or so. I spent lots of nights reading books to my son because of croup.
splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Does a cold shower work? I have always heard a hot shower helps.

Quoting Meanolduglyoldm: Sit with her in the bathroom with a cold shower running for 10 mins or so. I spent lots of nights reading books to my son because of croup.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:04 PM
We don't have a humidifier. But the saline drops might help. Totally forgot about those!

Quoting OBImomma: You van run a warm or cool mist humidifier, suction her nose, they have a saline spray to spary up her nose. It thins the mucous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_2_be_2010
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:07 PM
It is a hot shower I have bronchitis and I'm pregnant with my second I've been doing it for three nights basically nursing the toilet if that doesn't work take her to the pedi.....

Quoting splatz: Does a cold shower work? I have always heard a hot shower helps.

Quoting Meanolduglyoldm: Sit with her in the bathroom with a cold shower running for 10 mins or so. I spent lots of nights reading books to my son because of croup.
splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:16 PM
I will give it a try tonight. I've been trying to keep suctioning her nose. It helps but eventually the snot builds back up again. She's been totally fine other than that at least. I still feel bad though.

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010: It is a hot shower I have bronchitis and I'm pregnant with my second I've been doing it for three nights basically nursing the toilet if that doesn't work take her to the pedi.....

Quoting splatz: Does a cold shower work? I have always heard a hot shower helps.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meanolduglyoldm
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:20 PM
It is more the moisture than the temp of the water. I always used cold water, it was more comfortable and less chill for the baby when you come out if the bathroom.
mommy_2_be_2010
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:21 PM
I just had to go to med express if she's having trouble breathing take her in and get her checked. I'd hate to know anything has happend to her. Is she wheezing at all?

Quoting splatz: I will give it a try tonight. I've been trying to keep suctioning her nose. It helps but eventually the snot builds back up again. She's been totally fine other than that at least. I still feel bad though.

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010: It is a hot shower I have bronchitis and I'm pregnant with my second I've been doing it for three nights basically nursing the toilet if that doesn't work take her to the pedi.....

MKA28
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:27 PM

My son had a lot of breathing issues as an infant. If you have a small tent (kids tent), get in that and if you can't get a humidifier, ask around with friends/family. The tent always worked better then the shower. The humidifier was the best thing I bought from Target. Please don't feel bad about it...it happens. I hope the babe gets better soon. If you are in Nor Cal...I would give you mine! Best wishes.

ladybug

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)