Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

News is lacking in happiness

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:14 PM
  • 11 Replies
Every time I watch the news at 11, they kick it off with reports on the latest shooting, or something tragic like that. All these reports do is turn parents into helicopter parents, and I'm not going to let it affect me, because those reports were around when I was a kid in the 1980's. I walked around town all the time, and turned out fine. Why? I knew safety rules. But back in my times these reports were a lot less frequent and they had good reports, too, even though it's not really anymore dangerous than back in my childhood. I really think the media is trying to scare us. I want to see happy reports again.
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CEG-PAT
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:22 PM
I bump myself.
mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:46 AM

I know what you mean about all the bad news. For years I wouldn't even watch it. I live in one of the FBIs top 10 most violent cities so it's no scare tactic here. Daily shootings are pretty much the norm here. My sons are all grown and have been urging me to move now that I just paid off my home this year. I'm looking ....

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:47 AM

May Peace be with you and yours

OBImomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:52 AM
It can be scary.I don't watch at night. Only in the morning or afternoon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Yes, a lot of it is sad but I've heard some positive reports here and there...

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 12:51 PM

It is worse that it used to be. I would never let my kids do what I did as a child. It's too dangerous.

CEG-PAT
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:14 PM
Okay, I'm labeling you as a helicopter parent. I think that the 24/7 media coverage makes there seem like there's more "crimes" happening than there actually are.

Quoting Janet:

It is worse that it used to be. I would never let my kids do what I did as a child. It's too dangerous.

mcginnisc
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Atlanta crime sucks..period. #6 in the nation...

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 19, 2014 at 6:27 PM

I'd love to see some happy news too!

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 4:25 PM

You can do that if you wish. But crime is much higher. Just in my little city alone we have had so many killings in the last year. It wasn't like that before.

Quoting CEG-PAT: Okay, I'm labeling you as a helicopter parent. I think that the 24/7 media coverage makes there seem like there's more "crimes" happening than there actually are.

Quoting Janet:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)