Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Am I losing my mind?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 12:02 AM
  • 17 Replies

I have a 2 year old son and I just found out I am pregnant! I thought this would be a joyus experience.. but it turns out.. I didn't have anyone spitting cheerios on my couch the first time around.. Or yelling NO at me all day..  and I also didn't have anyone throwing their sippy cup at me from across the room. Things are WAY different this time and controlling my frustration on top of my hormones is turning out to be rather complicated. Is there a trick or something moms of 1+ use to stay sane?? Am I missing something? This is Elias from a while back. Makes my <3 :)

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:25 AM
I have a only so here is a bump for others to answer.
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Well. I'm pregnant with my 4th. I have a 7, 4, and 1yo.

I hate to drop this bomb on you, and please don't take it personally or as an attack, just truly mom-to-mom advice for sanity.

Even when I'm not pregnant, none of my kids were throwing cups at me, yelling no, or spitting cheerios on the couch. My first advice for keeping your sanity (pregnant or not) is to tighten your boundaries with that 2yo!

My 1st trimester is always debilitating. I'm sick and I'm exhausted. Even with other kids home, I was able this time and last pregnancy to take a nap every day at 2pm. With my 3rd pregnancy, (2 kids at home in the afternoons), I had a good routine in place so that even though my other two weren't napping, they behaved while I slept.

This time, my 1yo is napping, but my 4yo is home and she also behaves while I sleep. My sanity all the time fully depends on my kids' behavior.

I get that you are probably exaggerating a bit, and it is funny, but seriously, you are dealing with a lot more stress than you probably have to.

Hugs mama. Hope you figure it out.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:57 AM

It is another adjustment to make...I was able to have help from some friends and family so that helped some...

OBImomma
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:03 AM
You adjust. After a few weeks it's normal everyday life. Congratulations!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Congrats!! Everything will fall into place, hopefully =) good luck!

Mandalynn252
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:16 AM

I had a smaller problem with my daughter aged 4 when I was pregnant with my son. She just started to want more from me. I got why she was doing it, but sometimes I was too tired to care, I just gave in. With your son's aggressive behavior you might want to tighten the bounderies. Do you have help? Family, friends, spouse? I was very lucky to have family near by, but I know not everyone has that. Hang in there. 2 year olds are boundry pushers to begin with and pregnancy changes the dynamics of a household a lot. Congrats and best of luck!

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I ony had one as well - and never wanted a second one.  However, my DD never spit cherios, throw her sippy cup or scream her head off at me.  Mama, you have to put boundaries and rules with your baby !!! Or there will be hell to pay later !!

Jaclyn17
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:45 PM

He is such a fun little boy but SUPER energetic. Not that it's a problem to have energy but we are cutting out all sugar possible for him. He usually has a good temper and is pretty calm.. but for some reason when I discipline him he does NOT like it. He will choose to sit in time out rather than just say, "Sorry" or "Yes Mam". He does fine with his dad and even my sister that watches him for me often. Is it because I am mom or do we have to figure out our own way to handle them? 

Jaclyn17
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Quoting Jinxed8:

I ony had one as well - and never wanted a second one.  However, my DD never spit cherios, throw her sippy cup or scream her head off at me.  Mama, you have to put boundaries and rules with your baby !!! Or there will be hell to pay later !!

How does a normal day go for you two? What do I do when I start to lose my patience? What kind of rules are everyday all day rules that you set to keep control? ANY advice or tips would be more than appreciated!

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Well you are testing my memory here because DD is now 10 years old.  But I remember that she knew very early on what "No" meant.  Also push positive reinforcement, when he corrects himself reward him.  It doesn't have to be anything big, I did stickers with DD or a treat, or just applaud, give him a hug.  (like if he screams, tell him "No, don't yell at mommy"  if he then asks nicely, reward)

I don't know how you go about your parenting.  If my DD threw the sippy cup at me I would say a firm NO, then the sippy cup would dissapear, then of course your kid will probably go into a screaming fit, what I used to do with DD in a similar situation was keep asbsolute calm on the outside, pick her up and bring her in her room, close the door and walk away or wait outside the door ( I also had one of those handle blockers so she could not open the door from the inside) until she calmed down.

Kids pick up bad habits VERY quickly.  You have to keep this up, always.  Trust me, when DD was 6 her father and I split and I let a lot of things slide.  Now that she's 10, I have a lot of dammage control to do ! And it's much harder when they are older. 

Hope this helps a little ?

Quoting Jaclyn17:

Quoting Jinxed8:

How does a normal day go for you two? What do I do when I start to lose my patience? What kind of rules are everyday all day rules that you set to keep control? ANY advice or tips would be more than appreciated!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN