Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
Ds will be 5 in a week and a half. Were having his party next saturday Nd he wantsto play games with the other kids, but has no idea swhat kid d of games. I've suggested some of the classic kids party games such as pin the tail on the donkey and balloon pop, and he has mo interest in those. I know he wants a pinata, so we will probably get one. Any ideas on how to keep the kids (probably ages 3-9) entertained? The party is in doors at the club house of mu grandmas housing development, so needs to be fairly clean or easy to clean. Andy help is greatly appreciated!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
funny_girl3
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this

That's ok.  No need for a theme, just asking.  I may be just the woman you want to help you.  Before I becamea SAHM I was a children's librarian.  Basically my job was to entertaingroups of children.  Kids with varied ages and interests.  I can suggest some games that we played at a birthday party I planned at work for a boy who was about your son's age--libraries don't usually do birthday parties, his mom won the party at a chinese auction. 

These games are not messy, and won't damage the walls or floors (since you are in a rented space for your party).

The birthday party was a Star Wars theme, but these games don't have to be about Star Wars.

First game:  Big Booma

Before the party, blow up a bunch of balloons in 2 colors (I did red and blue).  About 4 or 5 per kid, just make sure there are the same number of balloons in each color.  At the party you can separate the kids into two teams (I gave them colored foam bracelets to wear so they knew which team they were on) and instruct them that you were going to release some gungan energy balls.  Explain that they need to help collect them into the baskets that you place around the room, BUT they can only collect the balloons that are their own team's color, only put them in their team's baskets, and they can't break them. 

After that game was over we played another game with the balloons.  When I was blowing up the balloons before the party I slipped a picture of a star wars character into two of the balloons, one red and one blue.  At the party I announced that for our next game we were going to break some balloons--there was a big cheer because young boys tend to enjoy popping balloons, but I also made sure to announce the breaking balloons game loudly because some children and adults don't like the sound of balloons popping.  A few of the adults that stuck around for the party took the younger siblings out into the hall for the few minutes that we played the game.  So I explained that we were going to spread the balloons all over the floor again, but this time the boys would have to pop them to try to find the pictures.  Again they could only touch their own team's balloons.  The two boys to find the characters inside the balloons got to pick a prize.  After the game I announced that we would be having lunch, but only if there were no pieces of balloons on the floor, so that took care of the clean up.

Second game:  Moon Rocks

Before the party I bought a big bag of pinata stuffers--candy and little toys--and wrapped them in little squares of aluminum foil.  While the kids were eating on one side of the room I tossed the shiny balls all over the room.  After they finished eating I passed out treat bags and set them loose on the "asteroid field".  They could only collect what would fit in their bag.  Some of the boys who finished first went back to help their friends, it was sweet.

Third game:  Pass the thermal detonator

Like hot potato, except I played Star Wars music and the boys passed around a pringles can that I had decorated to look like a futuristic grenade.  Inside the tube were pixie sticks.  When the music stopped, whichever boy was holding the tube got to open it and take out a pixie stick.  We played until all the candy was gone. 

We made a craft too, it was something with foam stickers, and then sang happy birthday and had cake and ice cream and opened presents.  The whole party lasted a little over an hour and kept the boys thoroughly entertained with minimal clean up.  It was low cost too, I bought everything at Oriental Trading Co, but you could find the same things at Walmart.  If those games don't sound good to you I have lots more I can share, I love talking about having fun with kids and I have years of experience with it; feel free to pick my brain.  Good luck with the party!

Quoting cookinmommyof1: Id's just birthday party themed. Lol. I can't bring myself to spend a bunch of money on decorations. He did pick out s ninja turtle cake though
Quoting funny_girl3:

Is there a theme for the party?

celestegood
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:18 AM
Is there a theme?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:14 AM
Bingo is fun and can generally be played with a group that has a wide age range.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiemichael
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Celebrating birthdays on beach is a good idea. We have plenty of sand games to play for kids and adults too.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I went to a party with my dd where they did crafts also.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Simon Says

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Put the music on...let them dance and turn it off/on alternatively...and everybody has to freeze when the music stops....

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:07 AM

coloring

susan_marie
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I am a fan of having a craft for the kids to do. Also, if you don't want to a cake, you could have them decorate their own cupcakes. As far as games, I have done the freeze dance, the limbo, charades, look up some good movement CDs. I am a fan of Greg and Steve. They have some real good action songs. Obstical courses are also a big hit. The mummy wrap game, where teams of two, one has to wrap the other with toilet paper. 

cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:53 PM
Those are great ideas! I think I'm going to do the Pringles can and foil ball ones. Thanks!

Quoting funny_girl3:

That's ok.  No need for a theme, just asking.  I may be just the woman you want to help you.  Before I becamea SAHM I was a children's librarian.  Basically my job was to entertaingroups of children.  Kids with varied ages and interests.  I can suggest some games that we played at a birthday party I planned at work for a boy who was about your son's age--libraries don't usually do birthday parties, his mom won the party at a chinese auction. 

These games are not messy, and won't damage the walls or floors (since you are in a rented space for your party).

The birthday party was a Star Wars theme, but these games don't have to be about Star Wars.

First game:  Big Booma

Before the party, blow up a bunch of balloons in 2 colors (I did red and blue).  About 4 or 5 per kid, just make sure there are the same number of balloons in each color.  At the party you can separate the kids into two teams (I gave them colored foam bracelets to wear so they knew which team they were on) and instruct them that you were going to release some gungan energy balls.  Explain that they need to help collect them into the baskets that you place around the room, BUT they can only collect the balloons that are their own team's color, only put them in their team's baskets, and they can't break them. 

After that game was over we played another game with the balloons.  When I was blowing up the balloons before the party I slipped a picture of a star wars character into two of the balloons, one red and one blue.  At the party I announced that for our next game we were going to break some balloons--there was a big cheer because young boys tend to enjoy popping balloons, but I also made sure to announce the breaking balloons game loudly because some children and adults don't like the sound of balloons popping.  A few of the adults that stuck around for the party took the younger siblings out into the hall for the few minutes that we played the game.  So I explained that we were going to spread the balloons all over the floor again, but this time the boys would have to pop them to try to find the pictures.  Again they could only touch their own team's balloons.  The two boys to find the characters inside the balloons got to pick a prize.  After the game I announced that we would be having lunch, but only if there were no pieces of balloons on the floor, so that took care of the clean up.

Second game:  Moon Rocks

Before the party I bought a big bag of pinata stuffers--candy and little toys--and wrapped them in little squares of aluminum foil.  While the kids were eating on one side of the room I tossed the shiny balls all over the room.  After they finished eating I passed out treat bags and set them loose on the "asteroid field".  They could only collect what would fit in their bag.  Some of the boys who finished first went back to help their friends, it was sweet.

Third game:  Pass the thermal detonator

Like hot potato, except I played Star Wars music and the boys passed around a pringles can that I had decorated to look like a futuristic grenade.  Inside the tube were pixie sticks.  When the music stopped, whichever boy was holding the tube got to open it and take out a pixie stick.  We played until all the candy was gone. 

We made a craft too, it was something with foam stickers, and then sang happy birthday and had cake and ice cream and opened presents.  The whole party lasted a little over an hour and kept the boys thoroughly entertained with minimal clean up.  It was low cost too, I bought everything at Oriental Trading Co, but you could find the same things at Walmart.  If those games don't sound good to you I have lots more I can share, I love talking about having fun with kids and I have years of experience with it; feel free to pick my brain.  Good luck with the party!

Quoting cookinmommyof1: Id's just birthday party themed. Lol. I can't bring myself to spend a bunch of money on decorations. He did pick out s ninja turtle cake though
Quoting funny_girl3:

Is there a theme for the party?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN