Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I am going throught the empty nest syndrome.

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 12:32 PM
  • 2 Replies

I have four sons and all but one lives away from us.  The youngest one we see alot and our granddaughter but he has a very depressing life. He suffers with depression like me.  Here's a for instance.Friday night he found our vodka and drank it all./  He became very drunk and we virtually had to carry him to the car.  His girlfriend took him to the hospital because he kept cutting himself.  He tells me that he is an alcoholic and smokes pot.  I don't know what to do about him.  I feel so sorry for his girlfriend and his little girl.  It tears me up and adds to my depression.  I miss all my sons so much.  My husband has a demanding job and always gets home late and usually has to go work on the weekends too.  I wish my life was happier but I don't know how to achieve this.  Anyone with advice for me, please write me.   Paulabummed_out 

by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Bonnie_
by Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Well it would seem that you   have put  all your efforts  into  raising  your kids  without  cultivating  any  outside interests.  It's  pretty  much  the same   as  when a man  uses  all of his time and energy  towards  his job  and then  the day  of retirement  comes and suddenly  they  don't  know what to do.  You  need  to get  out and make some friends.   There are plenty of things you can do.  You can  check  with your church and see if they need  babysitters  during  any activities.   You can  volunteer at an animal shelter  to feed or walk the dogs  or play  with the kittens.   You  can  check  with the YMCA  to see what  classes  they are offering.   My  friend  took a painting  class  and loved it.  Also   learn  some  dance moves.    Maybe  you can take a creative writing  class or photography class.  You  need to  get all the alcohol  out of your  house.  Being  that you are depressed   the booze is not  a good thing to have around.  That way  if your son  comes around  it  has to be because  he wants to  spend time with you  not get drunk. 

Also  every  time h e says  he  is going to kill himself  or  when   he cuts himself  call the cops so they can  get an ambulance to take  him to the hospital.   They will hold him   for at least a week  for therapy.  If  this happens  enough times  he  will get tired  of it  and hopefully  get his shit together.

splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 23, 2014 at 7:51 PM

I agree with the previous posters suggestions. Getting out and taking some time for you may just be the pick me up that you need! 

Have you tried getting your son some help to deal with his issues? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN