Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Honest or Tactless ?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM
  • 59 Replies

DD has a really good friend who lives within walking distance from our home, the girls go to different schools and because of DD's 1 weekend out of 2 at her dad's and DD's friend going away to her cottage most weekends, the girls don't get to see each other that much.

That being said, whenever the girls get together they are great. So Thrusday after school , DH and DD went for a walk together and as they walked in front of DD's friend's house, they were spotted and invited to play by the girl, and DH was invited in the house for a beer.   FFW to 5pm I go to pick them up after work, so the adults chat while the kids play, DD asks me if her BFF can come and eat dinner at our house, I say yes, the girls are extatic.

Anywho ... the mom tells me she wants to show me something and shows me some special lights she got and music thingy which I don't really care for or don't get why she's showing it to me, she then proceeds to tell me that her DD is having a "disco / slumber party" this weekend.  Then she tells me that my DD is not invited because she's an early riser.  And she really doesn't want my DD to wake everyone up early in the morning. She said her daughter was really hurt and wanted to invite DD but the mom didn't want to risk a bunch of girls running around at 6am on Saturday morning.

I was kinda stunned.  I mean, I don't know, I could have talked to DD, set some ground rules, I could have brought her to the party but taken her home for the night... there was 100 different solutions to this.  I thnk deep down I wish the mom had not told me about it, I salute her for the honesty but I find it lacked tact as well.  I find it incredibly sad for DD.

What do you think ??

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Runner36
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

Absolutely tactless...I don't get some parents at all...all I can think is...what where THEY thinking??

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:52 AM
7 moms liked this

The mom seems selfish to me. She just doesn't want to be bothered with a bunch of kids early in the morning. Hell she shouldn't even have a slumber party. Let alone tell you anything about it. Rude.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM
2 moms liked this

I'd be curious to find out what time the girls woke up that morning.  I know the daughter in question is a sleeper (she'll sleep till 9h30am on weekends)  But that is not the norm for most kids.  A part of me, out of spite, hope the girls woke up at 5am.  :P  

Quoting goddess99:

The mom seems selfish to me. She just doesn't want to be bothered with a bunch of kids early in the morning. Hell she shouldn't even have a slumber party. Let alone tell you anything about it. Rude.

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

lol yep!

Quoting Jinxed8:

I'd be curious to find out what time the girls woke up that morning.  I know the daughter in question is a sleeper (she'll sleep till 9h30am on weekends)  But that is not the norm for most kids.  A part of me, out of spite, hope the girls woke up at 5am.  :P  

Quoting goddess99:

OBImomma
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Very tactless
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Edenpeden
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I would call and offer the solutions you thought of.
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:24 PM

too late, I found out on Thursday and this party was happening Friday night.  What's done is done.  I was just wondering what y'all thought about it.  The girls are still friends and all ...  I don't hate the mom for it I just didn't know how to take it ... it's a weird mentality.

Quoting Edenpeden: I would call and offer the solutions you thought of.

Mrseoc
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:26 PM
3 moms liked this
Extremely rude! If your DD is the BFF she's a bad mom not to invite ur daughter. She should not have told you at all. I would have said something to her.. passive aggressive.. like "oh.. did you ask all the other girls' parents what time they wake up?" Or " I take it you've never had a sleepover."
I feel bad for this woman's daughter.
Edenpeden
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd be a little offended. sad for my daughter too.

Quoting Jinxed8:

too late, I found out on Thursday and this party was happening Friday night.  What's done is done.  I was just wondering what y'all thought about it.  The girls are still friends and all ...  I don't hate the mom for it I just didn't know how to take it ... it's a weird mentality.

Quoting Edenpeden: I would call and offer the solutions you thought of.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Well thing is my daughter has slept there a few times and apparently when she sleeps there, she's quite the little rooster.  But still,  they're kids !!!  When her DD stayed over at my house, the girls were in full party mode very early on too, her daughter was WIDE awake.  I fully expect an early rise when DD has a  sleepover.  It would not cross my mind, however, to exclude a kid for that.

Quoting Mrseoc: Extremely rude! If your DD is the BFF she's a bad mom not to invite ur daughter. She should not have told you at all. I would have said something to her.. passive aggressive.. like "oh.. did you ask all the other girls' parents what time they wake up?" Or " I take it you've never had a sleepover."
I feel bad for this woman's daughter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN