Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What Bad Qualities Have Your Kids Picked Up From YOU?

5 Bad Mom Habits That Are Messing Up Our Kids

by Sunny Chanel

The other day I walked into my daughter’s room, wait, scratch that, I couldn’t actually walk into my daughter’s room; it was way too messy. There are clothes strewn all over the floor, dolls in various of states of undress were scattered all over the place like victims of a deadly hurricane, and I swear I saw something moving under her bed.

Now, as much as I would love to blame her slovenly ways on someone anyone else, I know the truth. It is all my fault. I am not a cleaner, a neat-freak or even one to hang up their coat. I am a slob. And now my daughter, thanks to me, is too. Of course she is -- they keep telling us little kids are sponges, right?

This got me thinking, what other bad habits are we passing on to our children? What else do we complain about in our kids that is really OUR faults? I asked my fellow moms about what bad habits their kids have inherited:

Bossiness
As a parent being bossy is part of the job. But what happens when you kid inherits that bossiness? A war of wills, that’s what. This can become more and more intense with frequent bossy-offs with no one being declared the winner.

Drama
As one friend said, her daughter acts like, “everything is the absolute end of the world,” but that's what happens when you're a little dramatic yourself. And with kids, it’s usually the most MUNDANE thing that are the end of the world like that you played the Demi Lovato version of “Let It Go” instead of the one by Idina Menzel.

Swearing
Language is one of those big things that children learn from us parents from pitch to cadence to swearing not unlike a sailor. If you are a frequent user of the “s-word,” “f-word,” or more obscure and/or colorful language, do not be surprised if your kids whip out one of those nuggets of naughtiness on the playground shocking young and old alike.

Nail Biting
Children don’t just get our physical traits thanks to genetics, but they pick up on our physical behavior traits by observation. Habits like nail biting, when kids are exposed to them often, become a “normal” thing to do. These habits manifest themselves in all sorts of habits, but trying to stop for the sake of the kids can be a huge challenge.

Smart-ass-ness
While my daughter inherited my slovenliness, she also acquired a healthy portion of smart-ass-ness from my sarcastic, yet hilarious, husband. The key with smart-ass-ness and kids is teaching them when and when NOT to use it ... say when dealing with the school principal or a cop.

What bad qualities have your kids picked up from you?

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Replies (21-27):
Malissa1578
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I can be a smart-ass myself, but not when its inappropriate or rude.

I am not the biggest neat freak. I use to be really bad, but it was taking over my life... as it was way over the top OCD, so I changed that and cut back and let it go. It was a never ending battle of will against everyone else and the house... And was stressing me out. 

And honestly I do have a major potty mouth... I am working on that, but that is one thing I am sure my kids have inherited it as I got it from my mom... They never use that language out and about with me or any other adult, but at school I bet its foul.

rebirthfreedom
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Phone addiction... ouch.. hurts to say that.. Now I see that though, we can work on it

mjmorrison
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I think kids pick up bulling from their parents. kids learn it from watching their parents bully others to get their way. think how we keep pushing at store clerks, our spouses, teachers, ect.

AtillaTheHun
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Being stubborn and talking loud. I can't help it. It's genetic :-D
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Feb. 25, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Smart-ass-ness but it's all good though.

xXVICKYXx
by New Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 7:16 PM

my son is SO WIERD about me biting my nails. instead of picking up the habit he yells at me and trys to rip my hand out of my mouth.....

though he is stubborn like me, and snorts when he laughs like me, and im fairly confident im making him obsessive compusive/ neurotic/ anal. Im so afraid he is going to end up being so high strung he cant even fuction. though im pretty sure that wont actually happen and its just crazy neurotic mom fear.....

Lincolnsmommy
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Bossiness, Smart-ass-ness, and swearing but he's still too young to swear. I'm a failure :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN