Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Does having a home factor in re: custody?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:13 PM
  • 8 Replies
I am about to divorce my husband and the house was in his name - I was also a stay at home mom with a pt side business to make some extra $ so he has a better job m the benefits. I am reading that the person with more $ or a better home (I am staying with my mom right now) will be awarded custody?! I live in nj...help!
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I am not sure.Bump for other ladies.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I don't think so.  If you were legally married, technically (well depends on your state's law) things should be divided pretty much equally.  I would consult with a lawyer if I were you.  I have no idea, when I got divorced, we both worked and the house was in my name only (for credit issues) and I had to give 1/2 of the profits of the sale to my ex. Possessions were negociated amicably and listed on paper and that was witnessed by the lawyer. I got custody of my child full time it was a mutual decision as well. 

Jaimegurl23
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I do have a lawyer but he is not available right now and am looking for other people's experiences...thank yu for sharing yours/ Wish my situation was as easy...or as amicable.

l3sassy
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM
I am from Oklahoma but I know when I got divorced I was awarded custody of my 2 kids and I wasn't working nor did I have a place of my own. I was living with my mom and that didn't hurt me any.
mommacatof3
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:54 AM

The court will look at who the child was most stable with to begin with as well as other factors. I know a lot of Mom's in NJ that don't own their own home and they are no longer with their spouses. Are you seeking joint custody or full? If you are seeking full you have to provide a reason for doing so. Like was your spouse ever abusive or neglectful? The same would apply to him if he was seeking full custody. Talk to your lawyer and know your options.  Good luck to you. 

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Not sure...probably would have to check with legal help.

Jaimegurl23
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Thank you everyone. Serving divorce papers Monday and I am so scared :((((

celestegood
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 6:52 AM
Hugs! Things will work out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)