Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Have you used baby sign language?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:39 PM
  • 32 Replies
My LO has loved learned baby sign so he can communicate with people. I started teaching him at 6 months and one day a couple months ago he really started to use it. Now he is using please and thank you at 19 months. Does anyone else use baby sign?
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Feb. 24, 2014 at 5:07 PM

No, I've seen it backfire; kids won't talk because they can sign to get what they want. My 15 month old does say thank you, just not with his hands.

SeraiahH
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 5:54 PM
I have heard that too. My LO says several words but he needs a little help along the way. It's been great to decrease some of his frustrations too.

I bet hearing thank you from such a LO is so cute!

Quoting mrsnoble2004:

No, I've seen it backfire; kids won't talk because they can sign to get what they want. My 15 month old does say thank you, just not with his hands.

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 24, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I used it when my dd was 1 and 2.

oliveoil423
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 6:53 PM
I have a cousin that is deaf and his girlfriend. And its hard to understand her much. But i want to start my daughter and other kids to sign.
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 6:56 PM

No, never saw the need.  My kid was an early talker.

SeraiahH
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Did your kids have delayed speech? It's been said that baby sign could cause delayed speech.

Quoting goddess99:

SeraiahH
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:01 PM
That's awesome! How early did your LO start talking?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

SeraiahH
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:03 PM
It has helped my LO a lot to communicate his wants and needs. How old are your kids?

Quoting oliveoil423: I have a cousin that is deaf and his girlfriend. And its hard to understand her much. But i want to start my daughter and other kids to sign.
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Yep my dd wasn't talking at 1 so she started school and they did baby sign. 10 years later she never stops talking.

Quoting SeraiahH: Did your kids have delayed speech? It's been said that baby sign could cause delayed speech.

Quoting goddess99:

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Her first word was around 5 months.. it was 'keycat' (we had 3 cats).  I could ask her questions and she would tell me yes or no by shaking or nodding her head.  By the time she was 10 or 11 months, her nickname was "Whosy-Whatsit" because she was always asking "who's that" or "what's that".  

Quoting SeraiahH: That's awesome! How early did your LO start talking?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)