Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What is safe to take for cold/sinus issues while nursing?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:56 PM
  • 27 Replies
This darn cold started I think Wednesday, maybe Thursday. I have been steadily getting worse. I have been trying to just deal with it. I'm afraid to take anything and have it mess up my milk supply. I am in so much pain today though. The sinus pressure in my head and ear is horrible. The only slight relief I have gotten is when I threw up earlier.
I plan to call the dr in the morning but hoping someone can help in the mean time. I'm feeling slightly desperate at this point. Also, would I call the pediatrician to ask or my primary doctor since I am nursing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

I'd call your OB, but seriously any nursing safe antibiotics you might take will lower your supply while you are on them. For what it's worth, I had an infection in my thumb that would NOT go away while nursing and finally ended up taking amoxicillan. My supply dipped for those 10 days, but came right back when I was off. I continued to nurse/pump as usual and everything bounced back almost immediately.

I've always been cautioned against decongestants, but again, at some point you have to consider how much you are willing to suffer. Pump and dump possibly? 

One big key is to stay hydrated. This is of course the reason for the drop in supply when you take anything to dry up an infection. It dries up everything. Make sense?

A couple natural home remedies that would be totally safe (though might change the flavor of your milk depending how often you do them) are these:

- 1c. water + 1T apple cider vinegar + 1t cayenne pepper + 1T honey (drink hot or cold, it burns, but it helps)
- steep crushed garlic in hot water and drink (I love garlic so this one doesn't bother me but not a lot of people love garlic) 
- gargle salt water as often as possible
- use a neti pot

I suffered through an almost 3 week cold with possibly some respiratory flu in there two years ago because I refused to medicate while nursing. It was hell. But I did all of the above and eventually my body fought it, despite the fact that an antibiotic would have ended things in half the time. 

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

SeraiahH
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I found that making a tea of garlic and ginger works amazing!  It will open your sinuses and is safe for nursing.  I have done it each time when I've had a cold the past 19 months and it works everytime.

Boil water with some fresh ginger and a clove or two of garlic

Strain and use the infused water with lemon and honey.  The more you drink the more your sinus will drain.  It also will help you sleep. 

splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Thank you! Baby is 6 weeks now and I am still dealing with a bit of an over supply. But I rather have that than have my supply drop.

I'm sort of worried I have hit the point of full blown sinus infection. I usually get a really bad one once a year or so. I will call my OB in the morning! I've heard lots of good things about the netipot so I think I may need to invest in one.

Quoting clairewait:

I'd call your OB, but seriously any nursing safe antibiotics you might take will lower your supply while you are on them. For what it's worth, I had an infection in my thumb that would NOT go away while nursing and finally ended up taking amoxicillan. My supply dipped for those 10 days, but came right back when I was off. I continued to nurse/pump as usual and everything bounced back almost immediately.

I've always been cautioned against decongestants, but again, at some point you have to consider how much you are willing to suffer. Pump and dump possibly? 

One big key is to stay hydrated. This is of course the reason for the drop in supply when you take anything to dry up an infection. It dries up everything. Make sense?

A couple natural home remedies that would be totally safe (though might change the flavor of your milk depending how often you do them) are these:

- 1c. water + 1T apple cider vinegar + 1t cayenne pepper + 1T honey (drink hot or cold, it burns, but it helps)
- steep crushed garlic in hot water and drink (I love garlic so this one doesn't bother me but not a lot of people love garlic) 
- gargle salt water as often as possible
- use a neti pot

I suffered through an almost 3 week cold with possibly some respiratory flu in there two years ago because I refused to medicate while nursing. It was hell. But I did all of the above and eventually my body fought it, despite the fact that an antibiotic would have ended things in half the time. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM

You can take anything you can while your pregnant is what they told my DD.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Call your drs....they can tell you what to take that is safe for BF...that's what I always did.

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 25, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Idk but I hope you feel better soon! flowers

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 9:10 AM

I'd check with your pediatrition

splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 25, 2014 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
They were not open last night or I would have! ;)

Quoting delanna6two:

Call your drs....they can tell you what to take that is safe for BF...that's what I always did.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 25, 2014 at 9:49 AM
Anything that is a decongestant to dry up junk from a cold can also dry up milk though. I don't want to mess up my supply.

Quoting Janet:

You can take anything you can while your pregnant is what they told my DD.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 25, 2014 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks! At least I'm not on my death bed still this morning lol. I can keep down crackers.. woohoo! Now if only I can keep my head from exploding.

Quoting goddess99:

Idk but I hope you feel better soon! flowers

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)