Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How do you get your kid to drink milk?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:15 AM
  • 21 Replies

My daughter is 14 months old and we still have not been successful in getting her onto milk.  The only way she will drink more than a sip at a time is if we heat it and put it in a bottle.  She hates the taste of the milk and will go for hours without something to drink if that is her only option.  Help!

New mommy blogger!  Recipies, reviews and life stories.  Follow our journey on becoming a family.  Mumsmusingmind.blogspot.com

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:30 AM

My youngest (now 7) did not drink a lot really until after she started school...she will eat it with cereal now and likes ice cream.  I don't know if you can check with your drs. about other foods/options that may add in calcium for her.  Hope things work out.

clairewait
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I yanked the bottle at one year with all my kids, and only with the 3rd was drinking milk an issue. I still had plenty of breastmilk in the freezer at the time, so he wasn't even switching to something new, but he did not want the cup.

At first I just let it go. He was eating enough food at the time to take care of his dietary needs, and he'd sip milk when thirsty. I'd offer him sips at every meal and he'd maybe get one cup (total) all day. His baby food was plenty liquidy too, so he wasn't dehydrated.

Then he stayed with a friend one morning who gave him water in a cup with a straw. And it worked.

So now that's what I do. No "sippy" cup, but a take and toss cup with straw. He's back up to drinking a cup of milk (about) at every meal.

Side note: this child happens to be allergic to cow's milk (we discovered early on) and is now on Almond milk (once we used all my BM). I serve it cold and he likes it.

Many friends of mine, now, are hearing more and more that the switch to cow's milk at one year isn't as necessary as it has been pushed to be. If your child eats a full spectrum of foods, she is probably getting what she needs from food. And if she's gaining weight, the added fat in milk might also be a non issue.

We ended up cutting cow's milk from our house completely and found that all three of my kids had likely been suffering from sensitivities. All three are thriving now, and have far fewer digestive issues (no more gas, no more loose stool, no more tummy aches, a growth spurt for my 4yo almost immediately after cutting milk).

My main point is this. I stressed about it for about 3 weeks, then I just let it go, and it has turned out not to be a big deal.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Milk is really not very good for her. Just give her water.

mumsmusingmind
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Quoting clairewait:

I yanked the bottle at one year with all my kids, and only with the 3rd was drinking milk an issue. I still had plenty of breastmilk in the freezer at the time, so he wasn't even switching to something new, but he did not want the cup.

At first I just let it go. He was eating enough food at the time to take care of his dietary needs, and he'd sip milk when thirsty. I'd offer him sips at every meal and he'd maybe get one cup (total) all day. His baby food was plenty liquidy too, so he wasn't dehydrated.

Then he stayed with a friend one morning who gave him water in a cup with a straw. And it worked.

So now that's what I do. No "sippy" cup, but a take and toss cup with straw. He's back up to drinking a cup of milk (about) at every meal.

Side note: this child happens to be allergic to cow's milk (we discovered early on) and is now on Almond milk (once we used all my BM). I serve it cold and he likes it.

Many friends of mine, now, are hearing more and more that the switch to cow's milk at one year isn't as necessary as it has been pushed to be. If your child eats a full spectrum of foods, she is probably getting what she needs from food. And if she's gaining weight, the added fat in milk might also be a non issue.

We ended up cutting cow's milk from our house completely and found that all three of my kids had likely been suffering from sensitivities. All three are thriving now, and have far fewer digestive issues (no more gas, no more loose stool, no more tummy aches, a growth spurt for my 4yo almost immediately after cutting milk).

My main point is this. I stressed about it for about 3 weeks, then I just let it go, and it has turned out not to be a big deal.

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna try to just not make a big deal.  We'll keep trying but I'm just not going to push her.  She eats pretty good and gets a vitamin every day and she's not lacking in size.  I'll talk to our doctor next month at our check up if we are still not getting anywhere.  

New mommy blogger!  Recipies, reviews and life stories.  Follow our journey on becoming a family.  Mumsmusingmind.blogspot.com

rocamom
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Is she still nursing or are you still giving her formula?  I ended up mixing half formula with half milk and then did 1/4 formula and 3/4 milk.  I did each of those for about a week and then on week 3 I gave only milk.

GOOD LUCK

mumsmusingmind
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Yes, we are mixing and down to 4 oz milk and 2oz formula.  She will drink the milk warm, but not very much at a time.  Maybe 3 oz.  I have even tried giving the milk to her room temp.  Doesn't work.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:02 PM

try other dairies ?  Like drinkable yogurt or flavored milk (don't remember is that's okay or not at that age) try different brands of milk ... get her to take in different liquids (juice, water, pediasure maybe?)

splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:28 PM

My kids never had much of an issue. We just did the whole mixing half and half and then graduated down to full milk. But, I also took bottles away at 9 months. So I think that probably helped because it was less of a comfort item. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as she is still getting some sort of fluids. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Try different milks - my dd loves almond milk more than any other kind, water, 100% juice.

12yrmama
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Our doctor told us not to stress as long as she likes cheese and yogurt. (that was my 2nd kid) But he said it was fine to add chocolate or strawberry flavor and then slowly use less and less just to get her used to drinking milk.

I also found giving it in a cup with straw was lots of fun. (for my 3rd kid).

Also all my kids like almond milk. It tastes like melted milkshake :) but then if you don't want to buy it forever you will still have to make the switch... eventually.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)