Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Beyond the BRAT diet... Any suggestions?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 2:07 PM
  • 23 Replies

So my dd has been sick the entire weekend and now she can't even keep down the brat diet. Any food suggestions? I feel so bad, she really hasn't eaten in 48 hours. She's 11.

by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natural_s
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have any suggestions but I hope she gets well soon.

splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 2, 2014 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Poor thing. I would just try to give her gatorade until she is able to keep down food. 

Malayahsmom06
by Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Very small sips of Gatorade. When she is able to tolerate that, move up to Gatorade and crackers. Hopefully she perks up soon ;)
Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Just keep pushing liquids. 

littlepinkrose
by Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Small sips of Gatorade and soda crackers.  At least one cracker and small glass of Gatorade every hour wake her up to give it to her if you need to.  Make sure she takes the Gatorade in sips and has a small amount.

momtodab
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Imo Gatorade is one of the worst things. It's suger and food dye and it's just crap. When my kids have gotten sick I've done blueberry tea ask natural. Blue berry helps settle an upset stomach. If you can find a ginger tea would be good also. As long as you find A way to get fluids down and stay down good will come. She will get hungry and she gets better. If the fluid wont stay down at all then she needs to be seen by a doctor. Dehydration can happen in just a few hours. I hope she feels better soon.
JTE11
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this

She's probably just down to broth and clear liquids at this point- jello, ginger ale, broth, water. If she starts feeling a little better she could try some crackers and a little plain or vanilla yogurt but I wouldn't do that just yet.

deskorcasmomma
by New Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Forget food, just try to keep her hydrated . If you can not keep liquid down then she might need to hooked up to some IV fluids . The human body can do almost 3 weeks with out food but can only go 3 days with out fluids .
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Hope she gets better....for stomach upset we do Sprite and crackers...old remedy(corn syrup) to coat stomach.

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Thank you ladies so much, I've been pushing liquids and today she had some soup and so far so good. Hopefully she'll be back to normal and back to school tomorrow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)