Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My 2lb preemie is growing and I'm devastated?! Seperation Axiety questions as well!!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:11 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hello ladies,

My son was born three months early and was 2lbs when he was born. He is now almost 10 months and he is getting so big! Eating a ton of baby food, and just really thriving....he's lean and long and growing before my eyes....So my question is, why am I so sad??

I feel like I missed something, like I blinked and just now realized how much my once tiny little baby has grown! I should be thrilled especially seeing as he was SO small when he was born and in the nicu for months....so why do I feel so sad, like I'm losing my baby?? Am I crazy?!?!

Second question (sorry ladies, a lot on my mind today:-)

My son also has developed seperation anxiety. Not too extreme, but it's there. Myself and my son live in the same house as my parents right now, so he is use to having different people always doting on him, but if my father is holding him, and he sees my put on my shoes, he starts to cry and reach for me....I'll admit, I am a new mom, and I have no idea how to handle this (so please keep that in mind in your responses, don't be mean:-( )

I've tried kissing him and letting him see me before I leave, and now lately I've been trying to just avoid letting him actually see me leave and I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing....any suggestions??

Hope you lovely ladies are having a wonderful day :-)

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Hugs, you may have these feelings from time to time as your baby continues to enter new stages of growth...it is ok....a normal part of momhood....it will be ok...you are ok:)   You can put a receiving blanket close to your skin and make him a paci-cloth...and leave this with him when you are gone for comforting.....Also...here are some help tips for separation anxiety at this link:
http://www.newbornfree.com/tips-and-advice/dr-greene/january-2013/10-tips-for-alleviating-baby%E2%80%99s-separation-anxiety 

Pink.Frosting
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Tell me about it.  My baby just turned 16 yesterday and it's like he was just a newborn in my arms.  My oldest will be turning 18 very soon too and I'm really having a hard time with it all.

lunyuny
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Such a cutie!!!!!
nana776
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I'm pretty sure (or hoping) those feelings are normal, at least I had them. I look at my 6'5" 230lb 16yo and wonder where that tiny little baby went. I can tell you though that each age has it's own joys and challenges to look forward to.

I would not recommend sneaking out. I think that only increases the anxiety. Just tell him that Mommy will be back and then after you leave have whoever is watching him try to distract him. In my experience, they usually only cry for a few minutes.

CJsMama519
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Thank-you, I will try that! And my goodness, your baby grew up to be a nice big boy! I don't even want to think about mine being 16!! :'-(

Quoting nana776:

I'm pretty sure (or hoping) those feelings are normal, at least I had them. I look at my 6'5" 230lb 16yo and wonder where that tiny little baby went. I can tell you though that each age has it's own joys and challenges to look forward to.

I would not recommend sneaking out. I think that only increases the anxiety. Just tell him that Mommy will be back and then after you leave have whoever is watching him try to distract him. In my experience, they usually only cry for a few minutes.

CJsMama519
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Thank you, very sweet response. I have never heard of making a paci cloth, that's sounds like a really great thing to try. Thank-you for the link as well! I'm wondering now if it's just him that gets seperation anxiety or if its me too!

Quoting delanna6two:

Hugs, you may have these feelings from time to time as your baby continues to enter new stages of growth...it is ok....a normal part of momhood....it will be ok...you are ok:)   You can put a receiving blanket close to your skin and make him a paci-cloth...and leave this with him when you are gone for comforting.....Also...here are some help tips for separation anxiety at this link:http://www.newbornfree.com/tips-and-advice/dr-greene/january-2013/10-tips-for-alleviating-baby%E2%80%99s-separation-anxiety 

celestegood
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 1:16 AM
My seventeen year old turns eighteen in five months, and its like he was just a newborn in my arms. In all seriousness, those years go fast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 1:38 PM

It sounds like you have a little post pardon depression going on. You might want to talk to your doctor about it if it doesn't let up or gets worse.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 1:54 PM

You're welcome....It's normal for you both to miss each other...As I started back to work when some of mine were younger, I kept pictures in my purse to help me....I hope that you will find something that works out for you and the baby...

Quoting CJsMama519:

Thank you, very sweet response. I have never heard of making a paci cloth, that's sounds like a really great thing to try. Thank-you for the link as well! I'm wondering now if it's just him that gets seperation anxiety or if its me too!

Quoting delanna6two:

Hugs, you may have these feelings from time to time as your baby continues to enter new stages of growth...it is ok....a normal part of momhood....it will be ok...you are ok:)   You can put a receiving blanket close to your skin and make him a paci-cloth...and leave this with him when you are gone for comforting.....Also...here are some help tips for separation anxiety at this link:http://www.newbornfree.com/tips-and-advice/dr-greene/january-2013/10-tips-for-alleviating-baby%E2%80%99s-separation-anxiety 

m.garcia21
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 7:51 PM
Awww hes so sweet.,.... You two miss e/ o bc you love e/o and have a beautiful bond. They do grow up wayyyyyy too fast and its normal to miss the baby stages...but just look at it this way as he grows so will your bond as mother and son. And you will always have beautiful memories to remember from when he was a baby. And he will always be your baby no matter how tall and lean he gets :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)