Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

how can i stop the nail biting?

Posted by   + Show Post
My 3 year old has picked up the nail biting habit. Unfortunately it was from me. Now I have stopped but I can't get her to stop. I have tried that No Bite bitter nail polish stuff but she just chews it off. What else can I do to make her stop?
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Replies (21-23):
Proud2baMuslim
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Quoting mamamiajk:

maybe try tobasco sause on the tips...

I was going to say the same thing, Tabasco or some other hot sauce but then I thought about it. If she rubs her eyes it's going to burn like hell. I have rubbed my eyes after handling hot peppers and it's no joke and it's almost impossible to rinse out.

They do sell a product in pharmacy (don't know the name) it's for nail biting and it supposedly taste absolutely horrible. I'm sure the pharmacist would know what it is if asked. I would also ask the pharmacist about if the child rubs her eyes what the effects would be if it would burn like peppers. If it's made for children I would assume it wouldn't.

My daughter (now 16) used to bite her nails from the time she about 3 for a couple years. I didn't use anything I would just tell her to stop when i seen her but she grew out of it and just quit biting them.

momtodab
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:15 AM
It can be hard to find sometimes. I find it with the canning stuff usually

Quoting armyvet06: I will have to look into that next time I get groceries.

Quoting momtodab: Ugh it's a spice. And use it after every hand wash. Smart phones suck

Quoting momtodab: Sorry I'm mobile. But this stuff had an awful taste. Worked for my 5 yr old. Id dip his fingers in it after he waged then every time to make sure the powder was under the nail good. He hated it but it only took about 3 weeks. He would chew his nails until they bled. It had to stop.

Good luck

Quoting momtodab: Alum I think I'd vote it'd spelled. It's a slice used for canning some veggies.
jdl_457
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:54 PM
I had to put bandaids on all ten of my ds fingers to get him to stop biting them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)