Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you give your children an allowance?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:30 PM
  • 92 Replies

If so at what age did you start? 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:53 PM

no.  I tried for a while last year as a incentive to keep her room clean, didn't work, so I took it away.  She's 10 now and I find she ends up spending her money on REALLY stupid things, i'LL TRY AGAIN WHEN SHE'S 12

splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 7, 2014 at 2:01 AM

I tried it when my son was 7 and it ended up being more frustration than it was worth. I'm debating on trying again though. 

Quoting Jinxed8:

no.  I tried for a while last year as a incentive to keep her room clean, didn't work, so I took it away.  She's 10 now and I find she ends up spending her money on REALLY stupid things, i'LL TRY AGAIN WHEN SHE'S 12

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 2:13 AM
11 moms liked this
Yep it's called a roof over their heads, food in their belly, clothes on their bodies, and a bed to sleep in.

I do not believe in paying children to help around their home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 2:16 AM
Yeah, when he started secondary school (high school)
Before it was pocket money and would give him money if he was doing something with friends like bowling or something, but when he started secondary we give him a set amount a month to do things with.
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Mar. 7, 2014 at 2:20 AM
3 moms liked this
Yes, $1 per year of age, per week. Tops out at $10/week, though. We start when they start pre-k; my kids have actually learned how to save and they don't spend frivolously anymore.
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Nope, tried it but like you it was frustrating at times. Might try again later.

mcginnisc
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:06 AM

No...

In our home, you have to earn money. Our way of thinking is that we have a home, clothing,etc because Dh works..nothing is just handed to you. In order for you to have money, you have to do chores to earn said money..they get $.50/chore that they accomplish...if you don't do the chore on your list= no $$..they can make $6.50 per week...do they? Not usually. They have their moments. I *will* be paying our 8 year old as she has been helping me this week out of the goodness of her heart because I have been laid up the past few days with a hurt back...as per doctor's orders. She has no clue that I am going to pay her for it either so it will be a surprise for her. 

I'm fairly lax with them since I'm a SAHM, however...we will be homeschooling in the fall so they will be helping me clean up more since ALL of us will be in the house constantly. I won't be able to do all the cleaning, cooking, homeschooling, and running to ECA, etc all by myself- they will have to step it up. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:07 AM

6 but he wanted to spend it on junk...so now he has a savings & spend jar.

marleasmommy91
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I will start putting money in a piggy bank for them whenever I have extra money and allowance will given ahen they start doing chores. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Did she hassle you non-stop every time she did a chore? Cameron would do that & ask when he would get his allowance non-stop. Then he started asking if he could get an allowance to do basic things around the house that he is already expected to do.. brush his teeth, clean his room, rinse off dishes and put in the sink, etc. I don't think so lol.  IMO chores are for "extra" things that I wouldn't expect him to normally do like helping me clean the kitchen, put away laundry, & that kind of thing. 

Quoting goddess99:

Nope, tried it but like you it was frustrating at times. Might try again later.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN