Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Spring break blues

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:37 AM
  • 11 Replies

I'm really starting to hate spring break - it's just become a giant guilt trip for me.

First off - most of DD's friends / classmates went away on vacation - so I had to deal with DD's whine fest on how we didn't go away.  Never mind the fact that we did renovations ; blew the equivalent of a vacation budget on our house, put in new floors and re-did her room, new flooring, paint job, custom Monster hIgh room just for her, no that's overlooked.  It was decided early on with my ex-husband that she's go in a day camp - I registered her in a sports camp (because my DD (if given the choice)  could spend the entire day in front of the TV.  I sent her minimum hours for 4 days only.  I took the week off as well but spent the bulk of my time putting the house back together and doing spring cleaning (which was much MUCH needed)

Yesterday she had the day off - I offered her : A rainbow loom workshop, a cookie decorating workshop, the answer was no.  I offered to go to a ceramic cafe, the answer was no.  She wanted to go to the movies ... we are planning to take her to the movies and dinner out this weekend, so I asked her to pick something else.  She wanted to go for a mani-pedi ($$) when I hesitated, she ended up calling a friend.  So I offered to do a movie fest - brought them to the video rental place, then brought them to a candy shop and gave them freedom to choose what ever they wanted.  Her buddy stayed for dinner and left at 8pm.

Then this morning I get guilt tripped to death about her not wanting to go to camp, telling me how this wasn't a vacation for her blah blah blah ... GAH.  I'm just dreading this weekend ... what whine fest am I gonna get then ?

are you the type of parent who lives for their kids ?  Who would have spent every waking moment running around to please your kid ?  Should I be feeling guilty ?

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I do things my dd likes, for our spring break we know we're going to the movies and she might go roller blading but that's 2 days maybe 3. The rest of the time she's going to sit on her laptop and play Minecraft because that's what she likes to do.

So I'm assuming you really haven't enjoyed your week off? I know you were looking forward to it.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:48 PM

yes and no - it's been a lot of work.  I've also taken some time to relax which has been nice

but yesterday and today were a bitch and today she guilt tripped me to death ... I am just wondering what the weekend is gonna be like

Quoting goddess99:

I do things my dd likes, for our spring break we know we're going to the movies and she might go roller blading but that's 2 days maybe 3. The rest of the time she's going to sit on her laptop and play Minecraft because that's what she likes to do.

So I'm assuming you really haven't enjoyed your week off? I know you were looking forward to it.

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 7, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I hope your weekend is better.

Quoting Jinxed8:

yes and no - it's been a lot of work.  I've also taken some time to relax which has been nice

but yesterday and today were a bitch and today she guilt tripped me to death ... I am just wondering what the weekend is gonna be like

Quoting goddess99:

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I picked her up from camp early today, she was all smiles.  I brought her to run a couple of errands, and now my couch potato is watching a movie in her room ... hopefully things go according to plan tomorrow and maye Sunday she'll have some friends back in town for a play date

Quoting goddess99:

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting goddess99:

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 7, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Oh that's good. It's always nice to pick up your kid and see smiles.

Quoting Jinxed8:

I picked her up from camp early today, she was all smiles.  I brought her to run a couple of errands, and now my couch potato is watching a movie in her room ... hopefully things go according to plan tomorrow and maye Sunday she'll have some friends back in town for a play date

Quoting goddess99:

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting goddess99:

splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't feel guilty. You are just trying to keep her busy & give her fun opportunities. When she looks back she will appreciate that you did that rather than letting her sit home on her butt the whole time. 

celestegood
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 6:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't feel guilty. You did your best to put her in fun activities and she said no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

thanks ladies ... last night was nearly a catastrophy when a friend of hers bailed at the last minute, but this morning, she's in a great mood, we made french toast together and she's looking forward to going on our family day out !

delanna6two
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
Monday at 5:06 PM
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I think what you planned is nice....hope things will go ok the rest of the break....our break is not till the end of the month.

countrymomma81
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Girl, let her whine. Children aren't fragile...they won't break if they can't get their way. 

My husband and I love our kids. We live WITH them, not FOR them. They will survive even though every waking moment isn't devoted to them and their whims and wants. You give in too much and she'll be unbearable later when she wants cars, clothes and God knows what else. 

DO NOT let her make you feel guilty. If she realizes it works, you'll be catering to her every wish forever, lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN