Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I'm really starting to hate spring break - it's just become a giant guilt trip for me.

First off - most of DD's friends / classmates went away on vacation - so I had to deal with DD's whine fest on how we didn't go away.  Never mind the fact that we did renovations ; blew the equivalent of a vacation budget on our house, put in new floors and re-did her room, new flooring, paint job, custom Monster hIgh room just for her, no that's overlooked.  It was decided early on with my ex-husband that she's go in a day camp - I registered her in a sports camp (because my DD (if given the choice)  could spend the entire day in front of the TV.  I sent her minimum hours for 4 days only.  I took the week off as well but spent the bulk of my time putting the house back together and doing spring cleaning (which was much MUCH needed)

Yesterday she had the day off - I offered her : A rainbow loom workshop, a cookie decorating workshop, the answer was no.  I offered to go to a ceramic cafe, the answer was no.  She wanted to go to the movies ... we are planning to take her to the movies and dinner out this weekend, so I asked her to pick something else.  She wanted to go for a mani-pedi ($$) when I hesitated, she ended up calling a friend.  So I offered to do a movie fest - brought them to the video rental place, then brought them to a candy shop and gave them freedom to choose what ever they wanted.  Her buddy stayed for dinner and left at 8pm.

Then this morning I get guilt tripped to death about her not wanting to go to camp, telling me how this wasn't a vacation for her blah blah blah ... GAH.  I'm just dreading this weekend ... what whine fest am I gonna get then ?

are you the type of parent who lives for their kids ?  Who would have spent every waking moment running around to please your kid ?  Should I be feeling guilty ?

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Replies (11-11):
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Jinxed8:

are you the type of parent who lives for their kids ?  Who would have spent every waking moment running around to please your kid ?  Should I be feeling guilty ?

Nope.

And you shouldn't be feeling guilty.

Listen. Most kids are annoying and spoiled and hard to tolerate. I can't stand the mom-guilt that society seems to inundate us with.

I blame social media. Just stop reading what other moms are doing, tell your child, "It doesn't really matter what your friends are doing because I'm not their mom and too bad get over it," and move forward in a new sense of freedom that you are actually probably raising a better adult than most of our peers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)