Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What's with people's etiquette lately ??

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM
  • 30 Replies

So last night after dinner, DD asked me if she could have a sleep over.  Given that it was pretty late I knew the chances were slim but I agreed to make her happy nonetheless.  So she wanted to call Melia , a friend that lives really close by (less than a mile) Now she's not my favorite friend of DD, she's lied to me before, she also complains a lot (you know the type of kid who's bored all the time, no matter what) & is a picky eater but she has not slept here in a long time so I say ok.      DD calls, She asks her.  Melia says she can't because they have guests.  Then the phone rings, it's Melia again she says her mom said yes afterall, but she has to leave by 10am the next day, no problem.  5 minutes later, Melia calls back and says she's changed her mind, she'll come and play until 9pm but she won't stay the night (At this point I'm like WTF!!!) but she tells DD she's on her way.  So we wait ... DD is in the front window waiting and watching ... 5 minutes go by, 10 minutes go by, 20 minutes go by ... finally after 1/2 hour DD is impatient (with good reason) so I tell her to call her friend to see what's going on.  She calls back and Melia tells DD - that she's not coming after all. 

DD of course, broke down and ran up to her room.  DD was hurt and can't believe her friend left her hanging like this and cancelled at the last minute.  I can't believe that they would not have even called to let us know - that's just F'ing rude.  I'm not crazy about this little girl to start off with, but this kinda put the last nail in the coffin for me.

I would have NEVER done this to someone ... would you ?   

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StreetsAhead
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:10 AM

How old are they?

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I probably would have asked to speak to the mom and said one way or the other from the beginning.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Melia is 9 , DD is 10

Quoting StreetsAhead:

How old are they?

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I really felt like calling back but I was so irritated at this point that I would have ended up being rude.  + that mom gets flustered easy ... they're kinda "special" family.  This is the last time she gets invited for a sleep over.

Quoting delanna6two:

I probably would have asked to speak to the mom and said one way or the other from the beginning.

allsolittle
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
:( something similar happened to my 8 year old yesterday. Poor kid was sobbing. I just hugged her tight. Little girls are awful.
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Quoting Jinxed8:

I really felt like calling back but I was so irritated at this point that I would have ended up being rude.  + that mom gets flustered easy ... they're kinda "special" family.  This is the last time she gets invited for a sleep over.

Quoting delanna6two:

I can understand that....I think I would have been irritated at that point too....It would have been better for her mom to at least call and let you know something for sure...

Roo1234
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:51 AM
2 moms liked this
At this age I feel it is important that the parents actually talk to each other so they both know what has been agreed upon. Kids aren't going to know all the rules, but parental involvement will make sure things go better

Quoting Jinxed8:

Melia is 9 , DD is 10

Quoting StreetsAhead:

How old are they?

countrymomma81
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:01 PM

No I wouldn't have and I wouldn't have let my daughter (knowingly) do this to someone either. What I mean by knowingly is that if I told my daughter to call her friend and tell her about the change then I would assume she did it. If she didn't, I wouldn't know about it. 

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 6:09 PM

the mom knew because when DD called back and got upset the mom picked up the phone and told my DD "Melia is just tired, we'll just have to catch up some other day" 

Quoting countrymomma81:

No I wouldn't have and I wouldn't have let my daughter (knowingly) do this to someone either. What I mean by knowingly is that if I told my daughter to call her friend and tell her about the change then I would assume she did it. If she didn't, I wouldn't know about it. 

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

No I would not have done that either and that happened to my daughter like last year but it was not her friends fault it was the mother playing games. My daughter did not cry but she was disappointed because she was waiting all day as well. These girls had made plans earlier in the week to all get together and do something together.

Very annoying indeed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)