Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What's with people's etiquette lately ??

Posted by   + Show Post

So last night after dinner, DD asked me if she could have a sleep over.  Given that it was pretty late I knew the chances were slim but I agreed to make her happy nonetheless.  So she wanted to call Melia , a friend that lives really close by (less than a mile) Now she's not my favorite friend of DD, she's lied to me before, she also complains a lot (you know the type of kid who's bored all the time, no matter what) & is a picky eater but she has not slept here in a long time so I say ok.      DD calls, She asks her.  Melia says she can't because they have guests.  Then the phone rings, it's Melia again she says her mom said yes afterall, but she has to leave by 10am the next day, no problem.  5 minutes later, Melia calls back and says she's changed her mind, she'll come and play until 9pm but she won't stay the night (At this point I'm like WTF!!!) but she tells DD she's on her way.  So we wait ... DD is in the front window waiting and watching ... 5 minutes go by, 10 minutes go by, 20 minutes go by ... finally after 1/2 hour DD is impatient (with good reason) so I tell her to call her friend to see what's going on.  She calls back and Melia tells DD - that she's not coming after all. 

DD of course, broke down and ran up to her room.  DD was hurt and can't believe her friend left her hanging like this and cancelled at the last minute.  I can't believe that they would not have even called to let us know - that's just F'ing rude.  I'm not crazy about this little girl to start off with, but this kinda put the last nail in the coffin for me.

I would have NEVER done this to someone ... would you ?   

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Replies (21-30):
Willow_Phoenix
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:37 PM

I would've talked to the parents not the kid. Then after the parents I'd have let the two kids talk. Maybe Melia didn't have permission and just kept saying she did. If she's lied before I would've definitely skipped the kids and gone right to the parents.

preacherskid
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Northeastern Missouri.  Not much to do here with kids, plus I work, so I have tried to create fun girly events for them, the stuff I got to do with my cousins growing up (I have twenty one first cousins that I grew up with, they have two), and it seems no one is as into it as I am.  A friend of mine in Ohio is open to skype tea parties, but our schedules haven't aligned yet :/. And it isn't quite the same :(

Quoting sakpoints: Awe my dd would eat that up! Live anywhere near Belleville, IL?
Quoting preacherskid:

I used to have tea parties for my girls.  Well.  I tried to have tea parties.  Only two actually played out, and one of them was my girls and their one cousin.  People would tell me it sounded great, I would remind them regularly about the date and time, the day would come, no one would show and IF I managed to get hold of them it ranged from car trouble (understandable, still would like a call) to they just forgot to they had a previous engagement they forgot about when they said yes to the tea party.  After the last fiasco I told everyone if they wanted to bring their girls to a tea party I would be happy to have one, but they needed to give me a date and time because I'm done.  No one has given me a date or time.  It frustrates me because my girls don't get much girly time with girls their own age since their daycare center closed and they went to an in home care setup with boys and no girls.  I wasn't raised to leave people hanging like that.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

MSJAP2010
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:45 AM
Sounds like the mom is making excuses for her child being a self centered brat
celestegood
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:23 AM
Same here!

Quoting Willow_Phoenix:

I would've talked to the parents not the kid. Then after the parents I'd have let the two kids talk. Maybe Melia didn't have permission and just kept saying she did. If she's lied before I would've definitely skipped the kids and gone right to the parents.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:15 AM

well the initial phone call the little girl said no because they had guests, then she called back 5 minutes later and said her mom had said yes.  So the mom was well aware of the situation.  Plus, when DD called back at 7pm the mom is the one who ultimately ended the conversation with DD telling her that it wasn't happening. 

So that's what frustrates me even more, the mom knew and she would have never let us know if DD would not have called.  And DD with her big heart, wanted to call Melia back yesterday to play, I said no.  Screw this messed up situation.  She called another friend who would never do this and all went well

Quoting celestegood: Same here!
Quoting Willow_Phoenix:

westtnsexymama
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Idk maybe there is abuse on the family somehow and they have something to hide.. I cannot think of any other reason for that.
squeekers
http://www.richdemuro.com/home/2014/12/17/how-to-get-a-refund-from-google-play-for-in-app-purchases-your-kids-made-without-your-permission
Yesterday at 12:41 AM
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:28 AM

it's seems the girl learned bad etiquette from her parents.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Girls are worse but boys can be bad too.

Quoting allsolittle: :( something similar happened to my 8 year old yesterday. Poor kid was sobbing. I just hugged her tight. Little girls are awful.

allsolittle
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I believe it. Im not there yet. My only boy is 5. He has three sisters.

Quoting Janet:

Girls are worse but boys can be bad too.

Quoting allsolittle: :( something similar happened to my 8 year old yesterday. Poor kid was sobbing. I just hugged her tight. Little girls are awful.

EarlGrayHot
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Obnoxious.  Yes, ALWAYS speak to the mom and get the truth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN