Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I am about to lose my s*** with my 17 month old

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:42 PM
  • 33 Replies

Hello Ladies! Hope everyone is well.

So, my son is 17 months and he used to eat everything and the past month he has all of a sudden became super picky! Ive tried different recipies, ingredients, herbs, spices and he still gives me a hard time!!!!

The past week he has been vomiting, no fever, very messy diapers and again not eating much. He drinks water, juice, little bit of milk..maybe a 4oz.(he used to drink a whole cup or bottle) he only gets a bottle at night time, sometimes. Anyways, hes been throwing his food, gagging, just refusing to eat and I am about to lose my shit. He will eat potatoes, noodles and grapes, but I cant just give him that everyday. When I cook him eggs in the morning it has to have cheese or sandwhich ham in it in order for him to eat. Its becoming so frustrating. This is my first and probably only kid and Im starting to feel overwhelmed....................

I have no idea what to do. Idk if he is starting his "terrible twos" early or if I am doing something wrong. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks 4 listening Ladies!

by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:56 PM
Have you talked to a doctor sounds like something more than the terrible two's
somuchlove4U
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:00 PM
He might have an allergy to something. I would take him to the doctor.
wickedfunmom
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:01 PM

My DS went throught the same thing at that age. He's 20 months now so it does get better !! Is your DS teething? I could get him to eat cheesy scrambled eggs, grapes, pears (he loved the chunks but if you get pureed pears and stick them in the freezer like 20 min before serving those seemed to help ease teething discomfort), FROZEN waffles were also awesome (saw that on roseanne, just let him suck/chew on one.) Another favorite of my DS was tofu and banana puree. Hope some of this helps !! Good luck and hang in there :) 

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:03 PM

We went through the same thing. Our doctor said just feed what they'll eat. LOs won't let themselves starve. It'll get better. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Could have the flu or like someone said allergies. A trip to the doctor may be in order.

splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I think part of that is just a normal toddler phase. I would just keep offering things eventually he will eat more than just a handful of things. 

KRIZZ25
I DONT EXPECT PERFECTION FROM ANY ONE..BUT I DO EXPECT RESPECT .
Today at 1:42 AM
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:26 PM
could be sick..dont loos eur shit ..u wont beable to help ur child.. if thats all he will get just give him that for wile..sometime su have to go wth the flow.
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Cut all milk first and see what happens.

Turns out ALL my kids had milk sensitivities and I didn't know until one was 7 and the other 4. My baby had milk induced eczema so I didn't buy it for a week and magically, my older kids had less gas, normal poop (nothing loose) and the 4yo started eating twice as much, almost immediately. And then she grew 2 inches.

Anyway. I'd say try that first and see if it makes a difference. (If you are worried about calcium, do almond milk or something.)

Otherwise, could he be teething? Mine go through 2-3 weeks of finicky eating, diarrhea or loose stool (off and on), and even some fevers when they are cutting a tooth.

CrossStitchMum
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:56 PM
When kids are sick and a bit before hand they don't eat much. It's one of the first signs of teething or illness
nana776
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:28 PM

First, no dairy products until the diarrhea is gone for at least 24 hours. Put him on the BRAT diet. (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast)

Second, all my kids went through this at about this age. One day they would eat something like they were starving then the next time I gave it to them they act like you are trying to poison them.

Third, when you are sick, are you as hungry as usual? I'm not, and some things just don't go down well. So it's very likely that this is related to being sick. Have a little patience and understanding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)