Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I am about to lose my s*** with my 17 month old

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello Ladies! Hope everyone is well.

So, my son is 17 months and he used to eat everything and the past month he has all of a sudden became super picky! Ive tried different recipies, ingredients, herbs, spices and he still gives me a hard time!!!!

The past week he has been vomiting, no fever, very messy diapers and again not eating much. He drinks water, juice, little bit of milk..maybe a 4oz.(he used to drink a whole cup or bottle) he only gets a bottle at night time, sometimes. Anyways, hes been throwing his food, gagging, just refusing to eat and I am about to lose my shit. He will eat potatoes, noodles and grapes, but I cant just give him that everyday. When I cook him eggs in the morning it has to have cheese or sandwhich ham in it in order for him to eat. Its becoming so frustrating. This is my first and probably only kid and Im starting to feel overwhelmed....................

I have no idea what to do. Idk if he is starting his "terrible twos" early or if I am doing something wrong. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks 4 listening Ladies!

by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
areabrown
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:00 AM

The throwing up would concern me- maybe he's allergic to something? As for the picky eating, don't fret. My daughter ate peanut butter sandwiches for nearly every meal for a year. It was INSANE. Drove me bonkers. But she outgrew it. He's still pretty little so I say just let him have his way so that he's eating and keep offering new things to try. 

EarlGrayHot
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Why on Earth aren't you discussing this with his pediatrician?  It sounds like a food allergy so of course he's associating the foods you serve with being sick.  He is NOT doing this to spite you and for that matter, ignore all that nonsense about the terrible twos.  While it is true that around that age kids begin to separate themselves from parents and make their own choices but that does not mean they are obnoxious and trying to hassle you deliberately.  Perhaps a better understanding of this would help.  My daughter never went thriough the drama some people claim is inevitable, either as a small child or as a teenage.  Don't let rumors cloud your judgement.  Go to your pediatrician NOW.

BeccaWooten
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:06 AM
My son is two and if anything has a funny texture he will throw up. He won't eat anything brown or anything sweet. He has just in the past few days started eating more. I cut out milk and started giving him a calcium vitamin. I was cutting up all his foods and giving him a spoon on a baby plate....I changed it to a fork and left his meat in bigger pieces "like daddy" is what he says. I think our main problem was milk. I still give him 1 cup at night with a carnation breakfast essential in it.
N1ght1ngale
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

First, find out if the vomiting is his gag reflex kicking in not wanting to eat, or an allergy to something. If something made him sick, instinctively he will want to avoide a similar uncomfortable experience, that's nature, animals are the same way. Since he is a toddler, it's not like he can point out what it was that made him ill, so he will be timid about everything. Moms job is to figure out the culprit. Another possibility is hat it's his age. ALL kids go through the picky eater phase. Now, I hate doctors and believe most to be idiotic childless windbags, but sometimes they actually do give some decent advice. 

A toddler understands their bodies better than adults do,band so long Asa parent hasn't gone and done something incredibly stupid and filled them full of tasty junk early in life, can tell with the accuracy every adult struggling to lose weight wishes they could, what exactly their bodies are needing vitamin and mineral wise. We are so set on proper balance that it never accursed to us parents that we can achieve the same balance by eating these items separately throughout the day rather than in one meal sitting, and its been proven that this is healthier for us. So long as it isn't junk food and is chalk full of nutrition, let you baby eat what your any wants. If he feels like bread with nothing on it all day long, let him eat bread all day long.. It may take a day or two to get over it.. Maybe longer, but he will want something different later.. 

This was told to me by a pediatrician.. I did this with my kids and every time they go for a health check up I get high praise about their wait, health, blood, alertness, etc.. They weren't allowed junk food until much later in life. Now, thy may want something sweet at times, but if you offer a smoothie vs a candy bar, they will opt for the smoothie every time. They learned to listen to their bodies. My daughter is borderline anemic.. She craves meat quite often and wants it bloody. My son craves ..wait, he's a teen, he craves whatever is in his plate, my plate, his sisters plate, the neighbors.. 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Ask your pediatrician to rule out illness or allergy.

texassahm
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Children's taste-buds change over time - it could just be that he is in a phase where foods he used to enjoy, no longer taste good to him. He may like them again some day, but right now his taste-buds might just be rejecting his "usuals."

Have patience, call the pediatrician - I am sure this is not the first time a toddler has rejected his normal menu.

Keep introducing those foods to him, but also find some new choices for him to try.  He might be in a sweet phase, or in a bland phase.  Make new food, but keep the old.

maureen813
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 7:15 PM
It sounds like he is teething, cutting back molars.
motherslove82
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 7:18 PM

There is a stomach virus going around. Maybe he's sick.

Bonnie_
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Take him to get checked out.  He could have some sort  of blockage  that makes  certain  foods  hard to digest.

Mommy1438
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:17 PM
He could have a food allergy or intolerance? I don't understand how people can be upset with their babies when they can't communicate clearly.. or when they don't know better. If he is vomitting and eating differently, you should have had him at the pediatrician hours ago!!!!! Poor kid. :/ What if his throat or gums hurt or his belly aches?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN