Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What Is Your Worst Neighbor Story?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:52 PM
  • 31 Replies

15 Craziest Things People Have Done to Their Neighbors

by Jeanne Sager

neighborhoodNeighbors. Can't live with 'em; can't sneak a 'for sale' sign onto their lawn to force 'em out. Oh, true, there are people out there who have those "borrow a cup of sugar" neighbors (all five of them), but a Pew survey a few years back found more than half of Americans don't even know the names of the people living next door! Not exactly the "open door policy" you see on most sitcoms.

America is full of bad neighbors. Really bad neighbors. I once had a lady around the block who threatened to shoot my dog, right in front of my kid!

But that's nothing on what some folks deal with on their block. If you think you've dealt with the worst ever, well, just wait! The Stir asked folks to share their absolute neighbor from h--l stories, and let's just say we're glad we don't share a neighborhood with these folks!

1. The mentally ill man across the street who would lean out the window and threaten to kill "all you motherf--ers" when I was home alone with the kids was a "favorite." He also would tell my husband, every time he saw him, that he knew my husband took his wife's gun and he wanted it back (we didn't have the gun!).

2. Does finding a 200-plus-pound Wild Eurasian Boar with a ton of babies in your yard where your children play because the neighbor breeds them and doesn't fence them in qualify as having a neighbor from hell?

3. We lived upstairs in a duplex at one point, with a man living below. One day we were outside in the backyard, chatting with friends who had dropped by, and the man from downstairs walks out of the house, walks across the yard, gets to the edge of the garden, and swiftly drops trou ... and begins peeing in the garden ... while we just watched in horror (it was like a trainwreck; we couldn't look away).

More From The Stir: I Forbid My Son to Befriend the Neighbors' Annoying Kids

4. [Our neighbors] took a picture of my brother and me outside after I showed him our house (we were stationed at the same post and he was deployed by the time we got a house; he came home on R&R while my hubby was still deployed), found my husband on Facebook through a mutual friend of theirs, and sent him the picture, saying, "I thought you would like to know your wife is cheating on you!" They got pissed when he responded back saying that was his brother-in-law and to keep their nose out of my business!

5. The apartment building in front of my house was being run by an absentee landlord. There was always trouble and problems. They had dogs that were unfed, garbage all over, burning anything they felt (sofas, glass, bottle, tar, mattress, tires, etc.). Then two of the tenants teamed up and started dealing heroin.

One day I was about seven months pregnant, and I went outside to find my cat. A local guy who was friends with my husband when they were kids came out of the apartments next door. He got into his car, tied off his arm, and shot up right in front of my house. I was freaking out; I literally hid under my porch because I didn’t know what to do. When he left, I called the cops and they told me sorry, we don’t have a car in the area. I went nuts but it was pointless. For about two full years, I was scared to go outside. I wouldn’t let my niece and nephew play in the yard. I would carry the shot gun around to let them know I was armed. It was out of control!

6. The neighbor on the left side of my house is why I aggressively went after getting my pistol permit. He screams at kids if they even get near property line, drives his ATV up to my back door and screams at me if the dog or cat cross property line, sits in his car in our driveway honking horn if he wants to tell us something we did wrong, put nail strips in our trails on our property, rides his ATV around in middle of night on our property, sneaks up on me in the dark while I am putting wood in outdoor wood furnace, hangs out in an old camper with a C B radio talking to outer space, and we haven't seen his wife in four-plus years ... we think she's in the freezer. I have to keep shades closed on my bedroom window because we caught him looking in with binoculars from the tree line, dressed in those outfits Navy SEALs wear when they are hiding out.

7. My neighbor would report us to the landlord for my 2-month-old crying too loud and even came to our door once with a shot gun slung around his back telling me to "shut that kid up."

8. My last neighbor thought that I should keep my child indoors when she had her dog outside because he would get riled up if she was playing catch or swinging or running around. Not even being loud, just being outside. When I told her she was crazy, she tried sending me a bill for a fence she wanted to put up saying that since my child bothered her dog, I needed to pay half.

More From The Stir: 7 Celebrities Who Make Terrible Neighbors

9. My neighbor took my husband's truck one day without asking and drove it to town to get pizza for the guys blacktopping his driveway. Another time, we came home and he had unloaded the motor off of a refrigeration truck into the back of my husband's truck! It was never ending.

10. We lived upstairs in a two-story house, and our neighbor lived below. We were living in southern Virginia, where you can imagine it would get quite hot in the summer. It would be 100 degrees out, and we were dying in our apartment. We had all the windows open, we had fans going, we were sitting in a bath of ice cubes, and still, we were baking. We finally found out the neighbor (an older gentleman) had the HEAT cranked to 80-plus degrees downstairs ... and it was heading straight up into our apartment! We found out he was running his A/C and cranking up the heat to get warm. When we asked him to turn the A/C off, he got mad at us and threatened to throw us out (he was the landlord). Needless to say, we moved on our own!

11. We had a neighbor who truly had metal health issues. He told everyone we were drug addicts and dealers (we're not!) and videotaped our house constantly. He also sent a letter around our entire town telling people we were evil!

12. We had a neighbor who kept parking in our driveway. One early morning we wake him up to move his car because we have to get the car out of the garage. He screams and yells, punches me, punches my wife. I lose it and get him into a headlock and start punching him back while my wife screams for help. He finally wriggles free and to end it all before he drives away yells to me, "You're a man, you're a man!" I guess he'd never been beaten up by a girl before!

Think those are bad? Check out these neighbor from hell stories posted on Reddit:

13. I used to have a neighbor that would constantly throw trash over their back fence into my yard, did it all the time. During the summer, I would go out to the shed in the back and find the most random [stuff], like a ripped open stuffed animal, used diapers, etc. I started throwing the trash back over, but it kept coming back no matter how much I battled it!

14. We lived next door to this old man who sat in his front yard BLATANTLY just staring at us with binoculars. He only did it when my parents weren't home. When my mom confronted him, he claimed we were lying. We weren't. So one night we hear a noise outside, and my mom pulls up the blind to find herself eye-to-eye with this old man trying to look into our window.

15. My dad had a broken ankle, but noticed our neighbor collapse in his backyard. My dad ran over to him and helped him, called the ambulance, etc. Our neighbor sued my dad over it, claiming he worsened the injury!

Think you can top these? What's your worst neighbor story?

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virgoariesmama
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 5:27 PM

my drug dealing neighbor tried to run me over when i was pregnant with my second dd she told my mom she had the right since she paid rent (which she didn't)

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:42 PM

There's nothing I hate more than when neighbors park in my yard.

johnny4ever
Today at 5:59 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Mar. 14, 2014 at 7:25 PM

I detest the neighbors beside us!

chiefsfan91
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I have a buddha statue in our garden (about ten inches tall) When the new neighbors moved in, they put an angel statue in their yard facing my buddha lol. it's not bad, just thought it was funny.

our new neighbors are druggies. idk who i'd rather live next to... druggies or christans ;) jk but I think they don't like me or talk to me because i'm gay.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I have been lucky to have good people around me mostly...

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:44 AM

My neighbor called the dog pound on my dogs for barking. The dog pound told them they called the wrong place. She continued to tell them that they were PitBulls and I didn't have insurance. At that time you had to have insurance on them in Ohio. You don't anymore. So, they showed up at my house only to find out I had insurance and they were up to date on all their shots. So they were satisfied. I confronted her about what she did because it was very hard to get insurance and most people don't have it. If you didn't have it or couldn't get it they would destroy your dog. She said she knew that. I was furious with her! My dogs mind their own business in their own yard with our 6 foot fence. I asked her how she would like it if someone threatened to kill her dog. She was upset at that question. Our dogs are like family. And what makes that even worse she knew that!! She is just a mean person.

areabrown
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Good heavens and I thought our noisy neighbors were bad...

DKk0531
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:07 PM
We lived in a duplex and had a neighbor obsessed with my husband. We had many problems with her but the one that sticks out the most...

One day she comes over and asks me for a tampon, i give her one, that she asks me to show her how to use it. Ummm..no. So then the next day she comes over and asks if my dh could come talk to her, i told her hes getting ready for work right now and cant. She went nuts. Starts yelling that shes been having an affair and dh got her preg and stuff. The day after she asks me for a tampon. Ha right. I just laughed and said ya right. And shut the door. I knew dh wouldnt do that. So she stood in our front yard calling me names, banging on our front door, banging on our garage, then she throws something threw our window. I opened the door to tell her to knock it off and she comes running inside and punches me. We called the cops, she was arrested for vandiliasm and assualt. But...she also accused some other guy of rape in our neighboorhood and made a deal with the DA to only serve 3 months. We moved the week before she was released. Shes nuts. Thats the only horrible neighbor ive had
Bonnie_
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:51 PM

They  let  their  dog  roam the street  to menace the neighbors.  The  dog  dragged  dirty  diapers  to our front yard.   I called  animal control  7   or 8 times  before they finally  were able  to catch the dog  and take it away.  Two months later  they got another dog   and did the same  thing  with  it.  It  almost  caused an accident  chasing  my  friend who  was on a motorcycle.    He said he loved dogs too much to  hit  it  but he was worried  it  would  get hit by a car.  I  started  calling  animal control again  and they  told  them  to  rehome the dog  or they were  taking  it  and they didn't  want to see any more  loose  animals   that belonged to them  or they would  take them to court. The  kids  climbed  up  on our  fence to  climb  up to their roof.    They let the 14 mos  old  outside unsupervised and she was sitting on the curb with her  feet in the dirty water.  She was only  wearing a diaper.    The older 3 kids boys 8, 8, and 9  threw rocks at our dogs in the back yard.    Their 18  year old cousin  made  lewd  remarks to my  daughters  who  were 12 and 13   whenever  they  came home from school.  They  let  3 other families  move into the house.   The fucking  owners  lived   in  a different  upscale  town  4 hours away  and  was  only  renting  houses  for money  and  not checking  on the  properties  or conditions  these  assholes  were  bringing  the  house down to. I  had to make numerous calls to CPS  about  them.    One  evening  6 sheriffs  cars  pulled  up   they surrounded the house  and removed a car from the garage  and  put it on a  flatbed tow.   They had to use  their flashlights  over there because they had their  power turned off.     They had  satanic  crap  painted  on the  back of the  house and a pentagram on the back door.  The  little  girl  went to kindergarten  with a pentagram   necklace on.    When they  had the 3  families  living  there  they  had  some  of the girls  sleeping  in the garage  and  some  older  boys  18 - 19 sleeping  on a mattress  in the back yard.  There was trash  all over the back  yard.  The older  boys  would   climb the  fence to get  up to the outside  attic  window  they had  busted  in to  smoke crack.   I went to the courthouse to get  the name of the owners  and  looked  them  up  online and called them  to  tell them  what all was  going  on and he said  they  had  quit  paying  rent and he was waiting  on a court ordered  eviction to get them out.   The  cops  came by after they   left and  put a no trespass  notice  on the door.   They  had   a hole in the  picture  window  in the front.  I went and looked in the window.  omg  garbage everywhere  dirty  dishes  piled  up in the sink.  Horribly  trashed inside. I walked around to the back and that's where I saw all the shit  on the walls and door.   I talked to the owner   a few weeks  after the No Tresspass  sign  went  up and he said they had done 20,000.00  in damages.  

I didn't  feel too sorry  for  them though.   They were so eager and greedy  to  get a tenant in they  didn't  do any  kind of background check on them  before they handed  over the key. 

amberNewman0213
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:00 PM
I don't associate with my neighbors. I get worried if I do they will think they can come over and visit. I'm sure my next door neighbor hates us though. I'm not proud of it but hubs tends to yell the "n" word a lot when watching football. And well u can guess our neighbors race.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN