Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Swimming pool advice

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM
  • 17 Replies
Hi everyone, I don't post here often but hoping for advice. My husband & I are close to upgrading to a bigger home. It's the home of our dreams, swimming pool & awesome playground for our kids. Now that the contract has been signed, I have been physically ill with worry about the pool & my 3 yr old son. He is a fearless daredevil. I have been crying nonstop over the 'what ifs'...I could never forgive myself if something happened. The pool has a gate around it (which I think my son could climb over if he really wanted to). Now I'm freaking out over him sneaking out in the middle if the night to try to use it. I have done some research & there are pool alarms that go off if anyone goes in the pool. There are door alarms that sound off if a child tries to walk thru it. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am freaking out so much, haven't had anything to eat in over 24 hrs & as patient as my hubby tries to be, I think my paranoia is frustrating him. He has given me the option of walking away from the contract w/o any penalty. Any advice please??
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I would get the alarms. I have door alarms I used when my dd was little. They are loud and should wake you up. Get the pool alarm and a cover too.

izzyb120
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Thank you. So the door alarm is a good precaution? Does it just ring/buzz when doors are opened? The pool is such an odd shape that there's no cover for it ( not sure if I can get one custom made), so that's why sellers put a locked gate around it. Did you ever try the alarm that goes in the pool?

Quoting goddess99:

I would get the alarms. I have door alarms I used when my dd was little. They are loud and should wake you up. Get the pool alarm and a cover too.

izzyb120
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Bump!
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no experience with pool alarms but the door alarms I have you can set what they sound like. Mine have an alarm noise like a high pitch beeping and then a door bell sound.

Quoting izzyb120: Thank you. So the door alarm is a good precaution? Does it just ring/buzz when doors are opened? The pool is such an odd shape that there's no cover for it ( not sure if I can get one custom made), so that's why sellers put a locked gate around it. Did you ever try the alarm that goes in the pool?
Quoting goddess99:

orchardmoma
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I would get a custom made pool cover. 

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:42 PM

You know, your re over reacting as far as I'm concerned ... just change the fence around the pool to a 5 or 6 foot fense with a screen on the outside so that it cannot be climbed.  Also put an alarm (door sensors) on your doors inside the house so that if your son tried to open the doors in the middle of the night the alarm will go off. Also your son is 3 have a serious talk with him about this and tell him NO GOING IN THE POOL WITHOUT A PARENT or the pool will be permanently drained.

My sister bought her new house with inground pool when her son was born and her daughter was 3 - no incidents ever happened.  The kids had strict instructions.   

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Here is a thought, teach him to stay away from it, he is 3 years old, plenty old enough to learn that he is not to go in or near it by himself.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I would get alarms and a cover and teach him not to go near it.

izzyb120
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Thank you & I agree with you...I feel like I'm being a bit irrational & paranoid, I just can't help it! Thanks...good idea on the screen around the fence. I will definitely do that.

Quoting Jinxed8:

You know, your re over reacting as far as I'm concerned ... just change the fence around the pool to a 5 or 6 foot fense with a screen on the outside so that it cannot be climbed.  Also put an alarm (door sensors) on your doors inside the house so that if your son tried to open the doors in the middle of the night the alarm will go off. Also your son is 3 have a serious talk with him about this and tell him NO GOING IN THE POOL WITHOUT A PARENT or the pool will be permanently drained.

My sister bought her new house with inground pool when her son was born and her daughter was 3 - no incidents ever happened.  The kids had strict instructions.   

splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:44 PM

As moms its really hard to not worry about our kiddos. Have you looked into the option of a higher fence? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN