Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

BIrthday Party Advice Please (piog)

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 2:03 PM
  • 10 Replies

Feedback/advice appreciated: Trini will be turning 4 end of April and wants to have her first birthday party with friends. We want to keep the cost down since she is so young and probably won't remember the party a few years from now (and we are cheap, lol). We have done the park district for my older son, but that is $200+. <p> <p>

Any ideas for lower cost options? We were thinking a party at the park with a pinata and cake, but were worried that would come off cheesy and also, the whole weather issue. We are considering  a home party and rent a bounce house, but that would be weather dependent too. Maybe a home party with a magician? <p> <p>

What are your honest thoughts/opinions? Any other ideas? TIA! :)

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
Hiking!
Today at 10:55 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:43 PM

What about a Spa Party?

buttercup24
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:45 PM
Set up for a princess tea party inside.
Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:36 AM

What you are thinking is perfect for a 4 yr old. A simple party thats not overwhelming for little kids. I hadnt done a big party for my oldest since she was one. When she turned 5 back in July i rented a building in our small town since it was hot outside and did the cake, goodies and pinata. Those kids loved it!! We did a cupcake theme. I made the cupcakes and most of the decorations. I saved alot of money. And i worked in a hospital kitchen for 11 yrs so i was able to be sneaky and have my old boss order me some strawberries and i dipped them in white chocolate for a special treat. kids and adults loved them! 

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Our park has a large playground so I've done a few parties there, plus it's free. I've done a roller skating party at a rink, very low cost but my dd is older. I've also done house parties outside but if it rains them everyone runs for cover in your home. Movie theatre parties are fun too but that can get pricey.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:55 AM

at 4 yes she will remember her birthday especially this being her first one !!

There are tons of way you do it low cost if done in your home.  The cheapest party I ever did for DD was a pizza party. 

• I went to the local pizzaria and bought plain white pizza boxes
  • Then I bought stickers, crayons, glitter glue etc at the local dollar store
  • When the kids arrived, each kid decorated and ID'd their pizza box
  • Then, each kid made their own pizza, 2 of them  (stretched the dough and dressed it)
  • Then we baked them and each kid ate on pizza on the spot, and the other one went in the take-away box
  • then the kids made chocolate pizzas ( melted chocolates circles, the size of a pancake)  chilled, which they decorated with different candies and sprinkles.  When they were done, they were chilled, then wrapped in cello paper and also put in their take away box.
  • Instead of a birthday cake, I made a giant chocolate chip cookie that looked like a pizza - topped with yellow icing, chocolate coins for pepperoni, green and red jelly beans for peppers,
  • Each kid ate 1 slice, the other slice went in the take-away box
  • When all was said and done, the kids were full and I put a movie on for them.
  • in the mean time, I cleaned
  • when each parent showed up the pizza take away box served as a loot bag.
  • I got SO many compliments on the party ...
  • it was a lot of work but it was well worth it !!!
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:59 AM

If you don't want to serve lunch, You can also do the same principe with a baking party

• Instead of pizza boxes buy plain pastry boxes
  • make cupcake batter and cookie dough with the kids
  • have the kids decorate their baked goods
  • package them up as a loot bag in the pastry box

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 2:23 PM

home party/princess theme

splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 20, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Personally I don't think a park party is cheesy. I've been to plenty of birthday parties at parks and they were awesome. Plus there is the added bonus of not having all those kids in your house! lol 

splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 20, 2014 at 12:47 AM

That would be adorable! Depending on how many kids you are going to have you could really go all out with that theme & keep it cheap. Enlist the help of a few friends then paint the girls nails/toes & do their hair up pretty. You could buy some cheap bows as their take home goody. 

Quoting johnny4ever:

What about a Spa Party?

iamcafemom83
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Definitely something that burns their energy. Park or bounce house would be perfect. Little kids aren't going to sit still for long.
Do you have any indoor bounce house places? I would look at costs for those vs getting a bounce house at home and worrying about the weather.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)