Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What do you do with your childrens outgrown clothes?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:16 PM
  • 55 Replies

Do you donate, store, save, sell etc.?

If you store/save how do you store them?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I want to save a bunch of my 3 year olds clothing for my youngest. But, I'm struggling with finding a way to store them without taking up a ton of space. 

nikabear
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:19 PM
I give them away to someone who needs them......
michelle623
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I donate, sell on FB yard sale sites, and save only the special clothes.

clairewait
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:39 PM

My first two are both girls and only 2.5 years apart, so I save those things. But I figure it would just be cruel to make a 3rd daughter wear triple hand-me-downs so I've purged everything that is too small for my 2nd daughter. My youngest is a boy and we're not sure what baby #4 is yet.

I consign anything without stains or tears at a litle shop in town. I tell her to donate anything that doesn't sell or anything that she doesn't want to put out.

I donate everything else to either Goodwill (bceause it is close) or "Solus Christus" which is a Christian mission downtown for homelss people.

I have one box per kid for storage - those 6 gallon Sterilite Tubs. And I hang winter jackets in an unused closet. Winter coats in NC typically don't get too much wear so those I can almost always consign even if two children wore them.

Otherwise, that's it. I won't allow myself to become a hoarder so this is the boundary I've given myself. If baby #4 is a boy it should be pretty easy because his brother is only 1.5 years older, so clothes will be a quick turn around and then out with them. If there were more years between my kids I wouldn't bother... clothes are cheap enough and styles change enough that I find even "old" kid clothes start to look dated.

waytomanykids10
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:46 PM

I put them in plastic bins, and then put them in our storage shed for the next kid in line. Every spring and every fall I go through them and see if I have any that will fit one of the other kids. The clothes that won't fit anyone I usually try to sell or pass on.

Bonnie_
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:48 PM

If you  don't  have an attic  shed or garage  maybe   put them in 'Under the bed'   bins?

newwifenmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 1:53 AM
Pass them on to someone I know or donate them
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 2:03 AM
My niece wears them unless they say mommy's little man or the such. My nephew is due April 2, so he will get those.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 2:06 AM
Triple hand me downs? Did you buy them all second hand? Because it'd only be double if the one you're pregnant with wore them and they were brand new for the oldest.

Quoting clairewait:

My first two are both girls and only 2.5 years apart, so I save those things. But I figure it would just be cruel to make a 3rd daughter wear triple hand-me-downs so I've purged everything that is too small for my 2nd daughter. My youngest is a boy and we're not sure what baby #4 is yet.

I consign anything without stains or tears at a litle shop in town. I tell her to donate anything that doesn't sell or anything that she doesn't want to put out.

I donate everything else to either Goodwill (bceause it is close) or "Solus Christus" which is a Christian mission downtown for homelss people.

I have one box per kid for storage - those 6 gallon Sterilite Tubs. And I hang winter jackets in an unused closet. Winter coats in NC typically don't get too much wear so those I can almost always consign even if two children wore them.

Otherwise, that's it. I won't allow myself to become a hoarder so this is the boundary I've given myself. If baby #4 is a boy it should be pretty easy because his brother is only 1.5 years older, so clothes will be a quick turn around and then out with them. If there were more years between my kids I wouldn't bother... clothes are cheap enough and styles change enough that I find even "old" kid clothes start to look dated.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Either give to a Friend or garage sale them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)