Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

daughter has head lice

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 12:03 AM
  • 8 Replies
And I'm 8 weeks pregnant. Will it be okay for me to treat her hair? And can I treat mine as a precaution?
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I would say check with your drs...

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I would at least call and ask a nurse. Maybe your dh/so should treat your dd so you're not exposed to the chemicals. Idk?

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I would check with your Dr.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Check with a nurse for the initial chemical treatment, then use tea tree oil on all of you - dump a whole bottle of oil in a bottle of regular shampoo and use it for as long as it lasts.  It's natural and the best thing to get rid of them.  I pre-treat DD with a oil mix containing tea tree oil during prime lice season and "knock on wood" she's never had them.  

yroder2003
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:59 PM
I have heard the tea tree thing. I will probably go that route to be safe.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Check with a nurse for the initial chemical treatment, then use tea tree oil on all of you - dump a whole bottle of oil in a bottle of regular shampoo and use it for as long as it lasts.  It's natural and the best thing to get rid of them.  I pre-treat DD with a oil mix containing tea tree oil during prime lice season and "knock on wood" she's never had them.  

momof3grls4517
by New Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:39 AM
I put cooking oil in my girls hair and put a hair net on them for an hour. Then started combing through their hair a little at a time. It will take a couple of washes with shampoo to get the oil out. I also used tea tree in their hair. Haven't had lice for a couple of years. I heard mayo works too. Good luck, lice are so frusterating.
Noelle40
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Oh, boy, been down that road with my daughter.  We did the chemical to discover it only brought on her asthma.

Here's my advice, and heaven knows I got EXTREMELY frustrated with finding the best route to handle it.  Of course, always check with your doctor about your pregnancy, but the natural route should be relatively harmless.  

I always do tea tree oil(I get it rather inexpensively at Wal Mart), mis it with mayo and oil. Any kind of cooking oil will do.  Mix it and comb it in her hair.  I then place a plastic cap over it for 15 minutes.  I then wash it really well.  

Following the wash I run a NIT comb (you should be able to get one most any where) through it.  Make sure you dip the comb every time you use it into a plastic or styrofoam cup of water as that kills them off.  You'll see them every time you dip. This also helps to keep track of the amount of nits in the hair and that you are getting them out.  Eggs look clear.  You can actually treat with the natural treatment however many times you want a day, but I do about twice.  Then repeat in seven days.

I've always been told combing is the key.  Comb, comb and comb again.  Dip in water all the time.  I also had a school nurse tell me once to use vinegar when you comb and she was right that works, too. Dip the comb in the vinegar and comb.

Place all hats, stuffed animals, etc into air tight bags and put outside to air out for at least a week. That should kill off any lice or eggs on those. I ran her sheets, blankets, etc through hot water with tea tree oil and detergent.

You can also create a tea tree oil misture with water and place in a spray bottle to spray her mattress, carpeting, etc.  Make sure you retreat her hair and everything else at least in seven days from inital treatment as the eggs will hatch by then and create new lice. You want to knock those off before that happens.

Also remember they don't fly and they don't jump.  They live off the blood supply and actually prefer clean heads, not dirty ones. That's a misnomer.  Once you have cleared her head put hairspray in it, mouse, whatever as they hate anything in the hair.  It's a great preventitive for down the road. My daughter uses hairspray all the time now as a preventitive.

Sorry it's so long, but hopefully this helps. You can also go on line and research about tea tree oil treatments.

Noelle40

Please don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions. I will try to answer them or find the answer for you. Like I said I've been down this road and it can be very frustrating. You just have to be patient, know it isn't forever oh and yes you should be able to treat yourself if necessary with the natural treatment. I did my own and my husband's as a preventitive, even though we never got it from her. Don't share any ot her combs, hats, etc right now or bump heads. Hope this helps.

yroder2003
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:51 PM
Thank you. Yes I think I'm going to go the tea tree oil way, just to be safe. I'm gonna make a bottle of the oil and vinegar and comb her hair tomorrow. We both had it about a month or so ago, and I thought I got it all, but found a few eggs in her hair the other day, so I'm worried now that I might still have it too. It does suck, especially for me, cause I don't have anybody to take the time to go thru my hair like I do with my daughter. I wish I were a male so I could just shave my head lol.

Quoting Noelle40:

Oh, boy, been down that road with my daughter.  We did the chemical to discover it only brought on her asthma.

Here's my advice, and heaven knows I got EXTREMELY frustrated with finding the best route to handle it.  Of course, always check with your doctor about your pregnancy, but the natural route should be relatively harmless.  

I always do tea tree oil(I get it rather inexpensively at Wal Mart), mis it with mayo and oil. Any kind of cooking oil will do.  Mix it and comb it in her hair.  I then place a plastic cap over it for 15 minutes.  I then wash it really well.  

Following the wash I run a NIT comb (you should be able to get one most any where) through it.  Make sure you dip the comb every time you use it into a plastic or styrofoam cup of water as that kills them off.  You'll see them every time you dip. This also helps to keep track of the amount of nits in the hair and that you are getting them out.  Eggs look clear.  You can actually treat with the natural treatment however many times you want a day, but I do about twice.  Then repeat in seven days.

I've always been told combing is the key.  Comb, comb and comb again.  Dip in water all the time.  I also had a school nurse tell me once to use vinegar when you comb and she was right that works, too. Dip the comb in the vinegar and comb.

Place all hats, stuffed animals, etc into air tight bags and put outside to air out for at least a week. That should kill off any lice or eggs on those. I ran her sheets, blankets, etc through hot water with tea tree oil and detergent.

You can also create a tea tree oil misture with water and place in a spray bottle to spray her mattress, carpeting, etc.  Make sure you retreat her hair and everything else at least in seven days from inital treatment as the eggs will hatch by then and create new lice. You want to knock those off before that happens.

Also remember they don't fly and they don't jump.  They live off the blood supply and actually prefer clean heads, not dirty ones. That's a misnomer.  Once you have cleared her head put hairspray in it, mouse, whatever as they hate anything in the hair.  It's a great preventitive for down the road. My daughter uses hairspray all the time now as a preventitive.

Sorry it's so long, but hopefully this helps. You can also go on line and research about tea tree oil treatments.

Noelle40

Please don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions. I will try to answer them or find the answer for you. Like I said I've been down this road and it can be very frustrating. You just have to be patient, know it isn't forever oh and yes you should be able to treat yourself if necessary with the natural treatment. I did my own and my husband's as a preventitive, even though we never got it from her. Don't share any ot her combs, hats, etc right now or bump heads. Hope this helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)