Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

weekly menus

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 9:37 AM
  • 16 Replies

Do you plan them?  do you wing them ?  How do you decide ?

We plan ahead, we decide what we want to eat, then make a shopping list and then decide each day what meal off our list we will be having. 

I get bored with repetitive foods so last week I pulled one of my Food Network magazines at random and chose 5 6 recipes within that issue and that was our menu for the week.   Our menu this week consisted of :

• Middle Eastern Pita sandwiches
  • Marinated Chicken Skewers with asparagus
  • Stuffed hamburgers
  • Cajun pulled pork with rootbeer beans
  • Rice Noodle Shrimp salad
  • Buttermilk brined grilled spicy chicken with a mango honey glaze

Made for an interesting and different menu - it's also fun for me to be challenged in the kitchen !!  More than the usual spaguetti, meat loaf, roasted chicken, pork chops ...

by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaytee
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I plan dinners for the whole month. I don't assign dinners to specific days. I just pick from the list that I have made what I will make.

iamcafemom83
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Sounds delish!
I need to start doing this again. I was pulling recipes from my pinterest boards and making menus. I've been in a cookong rut. Maybe I'll try it again:)
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM

we were in a cooking rut too - that's why I started doing this again... I did this for 2 weeks and it's so much fun! Some of the recipes were not great, but some are definite keepers.  I did it with Food network magazine but sometimes I pick a cook book at random and just work from there too.  We need to expand our horizons sometimes ...  although the root beer beans were a fail.  DIdn't like it at all but hey, I tried,  now I know.

Quoting iamcafemom83: Sounds delish! I need to start doing this again. I was pulling recipes from my pinterest boards and making menus. I've been in a cookong rut. Maybe I'll try it again:)

johnny4ever
Great First Day
Yesterday at 7:56 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I like to meal plan myself!I dont overspend at grocery store this way.

iamcafemom83
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Same with some of the pinterest recipes! I've found some pretty amazing ones, but some flops as well. It's amazing how following the same recipe results in such a disaster lol

Quoting Jinxed8:

we were in a cooking rut too - that's why I started doing this again... I did this for 2 weeks and it's so much fun! Some of the recipes were not great, but some are definite keepers.  I did it with Food network magazine but sometimes I pick a cook book at random and just work from there too.  We need to expand our horizons sometimes ...  although the root beer beans were a fail.  DIdn't like it at all but hey, I tried,  now I know.

Quoting iamcafemom83: Sounds delish! I need to start doing this again. I was pulling recipes from my pinterest boards and making menus. I've been in a cookong rut. Maybe I'll try it again:)

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Sounds good....I need to do the same...I collect enough recipes but it's the trying of them and being organized to do so....I am not menu organized at all....I usually wing it day by day.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Depends on taste as well ... my husband and I have different tastes in food.  He likes Big bold over the top flavors.  Anything with a light touch tastes blah to him - he hates couscous, hummus, cilantro.  He dislikes some of my favorite  foods like Fettucine Alfredo, Mac n' cheese and fresh fish filets.  Not easy sometimes.

Quoting iamcafemom83: Same with some of the pinterest recipes! I've found some pretty amazing ones, but some flops as well. It's amazing how following the same recipe results in such a disaster lol
Quoting Jinxed8:

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I usually wing them but as of today I am going to start doing a weekly dinner menu because we spend too much time in the grocery store. Hopefully I can stick with this because I am sure it will save us a lot of money as well.

So will make out my menu today to go shopping tomorrow morning.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Mar. 20, 2014 at 2:10 PM
We wing it thats just easyer for us then doing a menu.
WillowRayne
by New Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 2:37 PM
I plan my menus
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)