Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

ER Visit Or Wait Until Monday?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:52 AM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

So, I posted on facebook about how my son is still running a fever. People are saying I should take him to the ER. But here is the thing...he isn't even acting sick. The only thing wrong with him is his fever. It goes from 100-103. It only got over 103 one time and even then he didn't act sick. He's drinking plenty of water and, once his fever goes down, is a perfectly normal little boy.

I need some advice. the last time he had a fever of 103, we rushed him to the ER only to be forced to wait for like four hours and then be told they couldn't do anything...that it was a viral infection and just had to run its course. If he isn't better by monday though, he will be going to see his normal pediatrician. I guess i just need to know if I should take him in now or wait two days.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Del672
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Just watch him closely (like you already are).  It's true, with just a fever, they will send yoou home again.  They won't prescribe anything that you dont have.  Just take a flashlight and have a good look at his throat...just in case it's strep

Del672
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Other than that I wuold just keep him comfortable

JenniferMiller0
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's strep. He's a talker, always has been, which is why the fever is confusing. He is barely phased by it at all....maybe a little cranky/clingy but other than that...but I will check his throat and ears when he wakes up. I been checking his ears just to make sure they don't look red or nothing. The look perfectly normal.

Quoting Del672:

Just watch him closely (like you already are).  It's true, with just a fever, they will send yoou home again.  They won't prescribe anything that you dont have.  Just take a flashlight and have a good look at his throat...just in case it's strep

CafeMom Tickers

Del672
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Sometimes my kids would get a fever, and nothing would come of it.  Their doctor said it was because their immune system fought the virus successfully.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

I don't think it's strep. He's a talker, always has been, which is why the fever is confusing. He is barely phased by it at all....maybe a little cranky/clingy but other than that...but I will check his throat and ears when he wakes up. I been checking his ears just to make sure they don't look red or nothing. The look perfectly normal.

Quoting Del672:

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 22, 2014 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Just the fact that you waited 4 hours last time says they don't think 103 is an emergency. I was told to alternate Tylenol and Advil every few hours. Hope the fever goes away soon.

deputygirls28
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 11:18 AM
I would wait till monday. Hope his temp goes down soon though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkfairy0206
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 11:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Believe it or not, 105+ is what is considered dangerous for kids. My oldest daughter(when she was 18 months old) had a 104.8 fever and they didn't even act concerned!!
JenniferMiller0
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, he no longer has a fever. I hope it stays away!

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Mar. 22, 2014 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Just keep an eye on him but wait until Monday to take to Dr.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Watch him closely and see what happens.I never worried about what anybody thought of my Parenting.hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN