Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Any moms out there food dye and gluten free with your kids?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:13 AM
  • 8 Replies

Im doing some reserch and could use some help on food dyes and gluten. we are cutting both from our diets... if you do this can you give me some tips? maybe websites that helped you? 

Im using google but not having alot of luck. 

Thanks!

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM

I eliminated red dye when my dd was younger but now not so much.

momtodab
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM

our doctor has advise we eliminate all food colors and gluten and slowly add them back to find the one causing the issues. Im just looking for some information online that could help me make the switch

Quoting goddess99:

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Is your child allergic to something and you're trying to figure it out? Red dye and hotdogs made my dd hyper but she's outgrown that now so I'm not as picky.

Quoting momtodab:

our doctor has advise we eliminate all food colors and gluten and slowly add them back to find the one causing the issues. Im just looking for some information online that could help me make the switch

Quoting goddess99:

KLove_Mom
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

My youngest daughter is allergic to dyes... so I've got some tips. Just read labels carefully because even things like fruit gummies, fruit punch, orange drink, lemonade (especially pink), pizza sauce, certain flavors of Goldfish, Cheetos, Doritos, etc. will have food coloring added.

Stick to natural ingredients is the easiest. Simply Lemonade, Minute Maid or Juicy Juice fruit juices...
The "Simply" chips... like Simply Cheetos are dye free. 

The Annie's brand of fruit snacks and mac 'n cheese doesn't have food coloring (they have a rice pasta too).

We're not totally gluten free, but I try to limit it... so we use Pamela's Ultimate Baking and Pancake mix for pancakes and buscuits. 
I also like Quinoa pasta, it tastes better and cooks easier than rice pasta. It is made from quinoa and corn.

Walgreens has started carrying dye free candy and they taste amazing... look for the Black Forest or Yummy Earth brands among the small bags of candy there. They have gummy worms, gummy bears, sour jelly beans, and lollipoops. They are more expensive but worth it for special occasions. I keep a stash of the suckers in my purse for times when we are at a class or birthday party and everyone else is having a treat that my dd can't have.

If your grocer doesn't carry bread on the bread aisle that is gluten free, check the gluten-free freezer section... Ezekiel bread uses sprouted grains. It takes getting used to, but is especially good as french toast.

KLove_Mom
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I thought of something else too... look at your shampoos, soaps, and lotions.

Your skin is actually your biggest organ and DOES absorb those things in the products you put on it. Lots of colored soaps use dyes, and some use a wheat protein. 

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this
momtodab
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for the tips ladies
rae316
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 2:28 PM
We eat non processed and organic. We do eat glutten though. We avoid foods with dyes in them and make as much at home as we can.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)