Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

STAY AT HOME MOMS..

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:35 PM
  • 23 Replies
Someone recently told me that because I'm a stay at home mom and she has a career that I have no life experience.

I have lived in Germany, traveled Europe and lived in various states.I haven't worked in a few years,but I have had jobs and payed my own bills etc.

Do you feel like you have less life experience because you stay home?
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KatiebugsMom711
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:47 PM

No I don't think you have less life experience just because your a stay at home mom. I don't feel that way. I have been a stay at home mom for about a year now and I don't think I have less experience.

mrs42
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I don't feel that way. I think experience is what you gain out of your life, no matter where you're at. I'm sure we've all met women with careers/jobs who have little life experience outside what they've always known..

Hrmommyhswif09
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:58 PM
I don't feel that way either.Just made me think..I have life goals and want to get my degree finished before both kids are in school.Thanks ladies :)
luvnature
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

not at all. I have also been both. A work outside of home mom and a stay at home mom/housewife. I prefer being home. my family have travelled across Canada, have lived in 3 provinces, my kids attended a full French school for one year (my home town school, the school I went to as a child from kindergarten to grade 7). They did extremely well, considering that they only speak English at home They learned the language real quick, even my special needs dd who has always struggled through school. If I had been working full time since the kids were born, I don't think we would have been able to find the time to travel as much as we did, and we certainly would never have lived in 3 provinces because a job would have prevented me from doing that. 

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Not at all...I've done both...I like sahm better.

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Life experience?

I'm not sure it is so easily defined as saying having a career versus not having a career. I mean, shoot me, but many men in my family are military men. They have a lot of MILITARY experience, and a lot of world traveling as a result, but I'd argue that none of them have ever had to live in "the real world."

It isn't more or less life experience. It is just different.

I know plenty of dull and super immature career women who could easily be suffering from a lack of life experience. But I know plenty of stay at home moms with the same problem.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:25 PM

No, I don't feel that way.

kbutton24
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:26 PM
Not at all.
SeraiahH
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I've been a working mom and now I'm a SAHM. Work experience is just that. I recently read an article that said a SAHM annual salary would equate to over $300K due to the many hats worn my a SAHM. If what we do was outsourced to someone else paid to do it, it ads up quick. I personally pay no mind to anyone who talks like that. I know for a fact they couldn't handle what I do for my family on a day to day bases. My hubby is military and we have 4 kids between us.
Hrmommyhswif09
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Thanks ladies!Im pregnant with our second and it just hurt a little to hear it.My husbands side of the family isn't big on the whole SAHM thing.they all have kids but choose to work and always complain when the kids are home.I on the other hand love being home with my kids,teaching them
and watching them grow into awesome little people.

I think our kids can actually teach us a lot about life.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)