Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What should I get my ex husband for his birthday?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM
  • 18 Replies
I know .. totally a strange question lol. Normally our son makes him something or picks out a movie for him. He doesn't want to do either this year. When I ask my son what he does want to get him he just says "I don't know. Maybe a gift card or something". I know he would prefer to get him an actual gift. But I am stumped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
Beautiful day!
Yesterday at 8:35 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Maybe they could build something together.My son goes to those Lowes Build and Grow Clinics and they sell the kits there.

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Take him to Walmart where they have those big gift card stands and have him pick one out. Like to Chucky Cheese so Cam has fun too.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

huh ... it'll be a cold day in hell when I buy my ex husband any kind of gift ....

But as far as your son is concerned get a gift card to something that they can do together - restaurant , movie theater, outing at the local museum or zoo ... ? 

rae316
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Take him to a store to look around. Maybe something will catch his eye. If not, he can get him a gift card to go out to eat somewhere together.
splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 28, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I've tried to get him to go to those with him about a million times now. Our son LOVES going to them. I even told him that he could just pick up the kit and do it at home. He still has no interest. So I doubt he would actually do it with him. :( That is a cute idea though. 

Quoting johnny4ever:

Maybe they could build something together.My son goes to those Lowes Build and Grow Clinics and they sell the kits there.

splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 28, 2014 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel bad because he really wants to get him a gift but I feel like he is just settling for a gift card. Chucky Cheese would be pretty awesome though. Sam & I take him there often. Pretty sure we have more fun than him there! haha

Quoting goddess99:

Take him to Walmart where they have those big gift card stands and have him pick one out. Like to Chucky Cheese so Cam has fun too.

splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 28, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I have done it for every birthday and Christmas. It is really important to my son & it makes him feel good to get his dad something. Trust me, its far more about my son than the fact I want to actually buy him a gift haha. 

That is the hard part though. It seems like the things our son actually wants to do he has no interest in doing. A restraunt may work though. I'm hoping he will come get our son the night of his birthday for even an hour before work so they can have dinner together. He always makes excuses to get out of doing things with him during the week & I know our son was really looking forward to it when I suggested it to ex husband.. 

Quoting Jinxed8:

huh ... it'll be a cold day in hell when I buy my ex husband any kind of gift ....

But as far as your son is concerned get a gift card to something that they can do together - restaurant , movie theater, outing at the local museum or zoo ... ? 

splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 28, 2014 at 3:20 PM

My son is ridiculously indecisive which is why I posted here hoping for ideas. That is my last resort though lol. 

Quoting rae316: Take him to a store to look around. Maybe something will catch his eye. If not, he can get him a gift card to go out to eat somewhere together.

rae316
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 3:24 PM

lol, so am I. It drives me nuts that I am so indecisive. 

Quoting splatz:

My son is ridiculously indecisive which is why I posted here hoping for ideas. That is my last resort though lol. 

Quoting rae316: Take him to a store to look around. Maybe something will catch his eye. If not, he can get him a gift card to go out to eat somewhere together.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I have the same issues with my Ex husband .... he never does anything with DD - she sees him only 4 days a month and when she goes there for the weekend, they rarely do anything ... she ends up watching TV all weekend or even going to a friends' house for the day , one time he even let her go to a sleep over O__o ...  If I hadn't seen my daughter in 2 weeks and I knew I had only 2 days with her before not seeing her again another 2 weeks, I would NOT let her go away for 24h at a sleepover... he lives less than 2 miles from my house yet never picks her up for extra time, never took her on vacation.  Even for her Bday he took her to the place where they usually go to eat, some restaurant where kids eat free on Sunday.  And just mentionned to the staff it was her birthday to get a free piece of cake ... pathetic.  

Dads are weird that way...

Quoting splatz:

I have done it for every birthday and Christmas. It is really important to my son & it makes him feel good to get his dad something. Trust me, its far more about my son than the fact I want to actually buy him a gift haha. 

That is the hard part though. It seems like the things our son actually wants to do he has no interest in doing. A restraunt may work though. I'm hoping he will come get our son the night of his birthday for even an hour before work so they can have dinner together. He always makes excuses to get out of doing things with him during the week & I know our son was really looking forward to it when I suggested it to ex husband.. 

Quoting Jinxed8:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)