Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Advice?

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:20 AM
  • 12 Replies

Mobile Photo

Hello fellow moms!
I'm new on this site and mom to 5 month old Alaina and am currently staying home until i find another job while my husband is at work. I'm looking for some advice on budgeting better and help with where to find good deals and save money as living off of one income of $1000 monthly is very hard. Any help?
by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 3:11 AM

Make your own laundry soap, it lasts forever and saves a ton and its gentle on babies skin. 

Cloth diaper if your interested. Im a first time cloth diapering mama. Its easy

Keep lights off in your home during the day if your able to open curtains for light. And keep things that don't need to be running off when your not using them. If you have a computer and are not using it then turn it off. Those things pull so much power. 

Just some helpful hints but if your not into all of the above  then there is nothing wrong with it.lol I hope other mamas can help you out with the other things. Im sure they have some great things to share with you to help. Good luck :)

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Mar. 29, 2014 at 3:17 AM

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Make your own laundry soap, it lasts forever and saves a ton and its gentle on babies skin. 

Cloth diaper if your interested. Im a first time cloth diapering mama. Its easy

Keep lights off in your home during the day if your able to open curtains for light. And keep things that don't need to be running off when your not using them. If you have a computer and are not using it then turn it off. Those things pull so much power. 

Just some helpful hints but if your not into all of the above  then there is nothing wrong with it.lol I hope other mamas can help you out with the other things. Im sure they have some great things to share with you to help. Good luck :)

Great tips!Also Meal Planning helps to save money.

Mommysgrace
by New Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 3:58 AM
Anyone know where to get cheap clothing? The thrift stores around where i live are very spendy and if i'm going to spend those prices i might as well buy new stuff from walmart.
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

$1000 a month for a family of three? You probably qualify for government assistance. (Not that that is my go-to, but you know, if it gets you through a couple months...)

Depending on where you live, I always recommend www.freecycle.org.

It is very active in my town - people post "WANTED" and "OFFER" ads for anything and everything... moving boxes to big bags of clothes. You could probably get people to give you clothes, especially if you are willing to come pick them up.

Obviously consignment and thrift stores also have good bargains on clothes and toys. Goodwill isn't necessarily the cheapest around here actually, and we have a few thrift stores in nice neighborhoods that have GREAT deals on decent brands of clothes.

For keeping your normal bills low I highly recommend the following:

• do a pre-paid cell phone instead of a contract (we do this anyway and cut our cell bill in HALF)
  • live without cable (and internet if you can, use free wifi)
  • only shop grocery sale items and find a grocery store like Aldi or Compare Foods, or even Trader Joes for your staples
  • downsize anything you can: house, cars, extra spending. The silliest stuff seems to add up.

The link in my signature also has my best advice for lowering your grocery budget. I managed to cut mine by 30% about 5 years ago, and I've since added a child (and my other two have gotten older and eat more) and I'm still at a budget that is far below most of my peers.

TxMamma11
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I clip coupons. The savings can really add up over time. I also  use the Target Red debit card. It saves you 5% plus you can stack their store coupons with manufacturers coupons. Did I mention I shop there ALL the time? LOL! I also shop a lot of store brands form any place I go. Often they are pretty much the same as the name brand stuff. I know how hard it can be to make ends meet, good luck! Feel free to message me if you have any questions! I have been where you are. Just make a plan for every dollar, every month. Stick to your plan no matter what! It can be hard, but it can be done!

splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 29, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Cloth diapering is a huge money saver. Also shutting off anything that isn't necessary- internet, cable, etc. If you are currently out of contract on your phone a prepaid phone is a good option. There are a lot of affordable ones out there now. Meal planning, couponing, & going to several stores to get the best prices on groceries can be a huge money saver too. Its a lot more effort but completely worth it. 

splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 29, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Now that we are getting closer to the warmer months garage sales are a great option. Also look into local swap pages on Facebook. I often see people selling huge lots of clothing for pretty cheap. If you have friends/family with children older than your daughter ask to buy their baby clothes when they are done. 

Have you tried checking out thrift stores in local cities? I know there are some expensive ones around me but there are also some great ones with really good prices they just are not the well known places. 

Quoting Mommysgrace: Anyone know where to get cheap clothing? The thrift stores around where i live are very spendy and if i'm going to spend those prices i might as well buy new stuff from walmart.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I love Childrens Place and Carters.com when they have sales if you want really affordable cute clothes, But Walmart is probly your best bet. I love going to K-mart.they have cute cheap clothes like the Garanimals brand at walmart and i love buying shoes from kmart too! Do you have a local facebook buy/sell/trade group? I get alot of stuff on ours. Nice used clothes and shoes etc. 

Quoting Mommysgrace: Anyone know where to get cheap clothing? The thrift stores around where i live are very spendy and if i'm going to spend those prices i might as well buy new stuff from walmart.

teensrmyworld
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 7:09 PM

menu planning.  Grab your favorite cookbook and write down the page numbers of 5 dinners that you would like to make and then go to the grocery store and ONLY buy what you need for the recipe.  Costco and bulk does not save you money in the long run because of the waste and a lot of the time, the pre-packaged stuff while maybe a time saver is not good for you and will also cost you more money.  Try making soups from dried beans and broth concentrates, try not cook out of fancy cookbooks either. I love Better Homes and Gardens because the recipes are foolproof, easy, have limited and easy to get ingredients and taste great  I have been cooking out that book for what seems like a century and it has never steered me wrong!  I even make the menu fun for my family by using a chalkboard to write down the weeks menu for them to see.  They never fail to get excited about what they get to look forward to!

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Your lilgirl is so cute! I'm not sure where you live but I save 100s on groceries a month by following the sales and doubling coupons on sale items. Some things I can get for nothing or next to it. If you go to a laundromat consider investing in your own machines. There are second hand stores and other private sales to look into I know it would cost me more to go to a laundromat these days in one month for what the price of a machine would be. Fix any and all dripping sinksand bath and toilets. Our water costs are high and we have 2baths so that also saves in the long run. When meat is on sale....buy in bulk and rebag at home and freeze. Make your car trips count. I like to plan shopping trips the same day I have to pay bills or have appts. to go to. (doctor etc.)When going shopping for clothes etc. I love to go to Kohls and hit the clearance racks.Last week I got a Spring vest that was $60 for $5 and a top that was $35 for $6. Try to never pay full price for anything. If it's not a necessity....everything goes on sale at one time or another. Check out garage sales and flea markets too. They have some really great bargains that will help stretch your dollar whether looking for clothes,furniture or even decorating your home. Good luck and happy hunting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN