Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I NEED TIPS: COLLEGE SEEMS TO CLOSE FOR COMFORT!

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:23 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have four kids that are 8, 6, 4, and 3.. So, for some reason for the past week I have been thinking about my kids future, mainly college. It's a scary thought that my son is only 10 years away from graduating high school. 10 years sounds like a long enough time right? WRONG!! Did you know the average cost of school can be as high (if not higher) than $40,000?? And that's for 2013-2014. Imagine in 10 years. The amount has already increased by  3.7% from the 2012-2013 school year. And not to mention my kids are back to back, so year after year I will have to foot the bill!! I am literally freaking out in my head right now. It is time for me to really start investing in my kids future! I honestly don't have any clue how I am going to pull this off but one way or another it will get done!! I don't know the first thing about saving large amount of money like that. *takes a deep breath and heads over to Google for research.... Have you started to save for college? Have any tips on how I can make this a little easier am=nd stop freaking out?

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

No, but I think it's good that you are starting early and you could also look into scholarships for later on...hope all will work out...

ProudMom8643
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:19 AM

thanks!

teensrmyworld
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

look into whether or not your state has a guaranteed tuition program and then invest in that and do it right now.  Both of my kids now have all the money they need for college because of the GET program in Washington State.  My son was accepted a month ago to his dream school and we are excited not worried.

ProudMom8643
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Thank you, I will be looking into that. Congrats to your son! That's all I want for my kids, for their dreams to come true. I want to be excited about my kids future too. My mother-in-law's friend just told me about the T. Rowe 529 college plan so I'm going to look into that as well. She said she set on up for her son. Thanks again for you advice!! It is much appreciated.

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you invested in the Globe or Gerber grow up plan life insurance policies? If not I would. They are SO cheap when they are young, My twins will be 25 this year and I only pay $27 for 3 months on a $25,000 policy. God forbid you ever need to use them but if the unexpected happens you will be ready. Forgive me but I'm a worrier. I'm a MOM...that's what we do!! LOL

ProudMom8643
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Yes, that is indeed what we do! But I haven't done anything of the sort. I just started to figure out what I really want in my future let alone my kids future. I know it's ridiculous but reality just hit me. I have seen a lot of the commercials though. I plan on looking into all of your suggestions and weighing my options. Thanks a bunch!

Quoting mamamiajk:

Have you invested in the Globe or Gerber grow up plan life insurance policies? If not I would. They are SO cheap when they are young, My twins will be 25 this year and I only pay $27 for 3 months on a $25,000 policy. God forbid you ever need to use them but if the unexpected happens you will be ready. Forgive me but I'm a worrier. I'm a MOM...that's what we do!! LOL

ProudMom8643

StreetsAhead
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah start looking into ways to save now

God I'm glad we don't have to think about it
alc4evermom
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe by the time my kids are ready for college people will no longer accept the fact that you have to pay money and go into student loan debt to have a "successful" job. Until then, we took out life insurance policies for our kids that they can either continue on with in their own names, or cash in for a college fund.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)