Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

A million directions

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:55 AM
  • 5 Replies

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately. I don't know what to do and could use some advice. I work a full time job that I actually enjoy but my goal is to be a sahm by the end of the year. Here we are in April and it's not looking like I am going to miss that goal unless I can figure something out. Here is my issue. I have been doing direct sales off and on for several years. I love the concept of a company and having support but I just don't like doing all the work and then handing someone else all the money and then waiting to get paid from them. My dh has been trying to talk me into doing my plastic canvas crafts and selling them and I have made a little bit of money doing that but not enough to cover the material and the time that it takes to make them. I want to be my own boss and be able to go on field trips with my kids not having to worry about missing a day's pay to do it. Or be able to go to the dr when me or one of the kids is sick and not have to leave work to do it. I like to embroider and sew a little but there is no room in my house for a sewing machine and have been looking at the hand held sewing machines but still don't know if I can make enough to cover materials and labor plus I want something that I won't have to be up until 4am working on to complete orders and then have to be up at 7am for my full time job. Any suggestions?

by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:45 PM

BUMP

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Generally speaking, I'm not sure selling crafts is currently a profitable business venture. You have to have a product you already know there would be a demand for... and like you say, if it isn't worth your time to make it, then it isn't worth your time.

No matter what you decide, going in to business for yourself in today's economy is going to be an average of a 5 year process... meaning, you might not actually see a profit for the first 5 years. They say, today, you are lucky to be able to pay your bills and keep your doors open (depending on the industry, of course).

Anyway. That's just my take. Instead of making the big switch from full time work to full time stay at home mom, you might want to cut back slowly and give your family time to adjust the budget.

My husband went into business for himself (as an attorney) about 3 years ago, and I quit my job to raise our kids that year, and had to tap into our savings for about 7 months. For the next year, we got by on bare bones minimums. Now, in year 3, we are by no means "rich," but we finally are feeling breaks from month-to-month financial pressure.

ladybugchick317
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:01 AM

The way I am wanting to do it is that by the end of the year I want to be a sahm but realistically I am planning on dh and I having enough money put back to let me get down to part time and then eventually quit. We are slowly putting money into savings but dh suggested last night that instead of making things to sell that I should look at what is up and coming and find a distributor.

Quoting clairewait:

Generally speaking, I'm not sure selling crafts is currently a profitable business venture. You have to have a product you already know there would be a demand for... and like you say, if it isn't worth your time to make it, then it isn't worth your time.

No matter what you decide, going in to business for yourself in today's economy is going to be an average of a 5 year process... meaning, you might not actually see a profit for the first 5 years. They say, today, you are lucky to be able to pay your bills and keep your doors open (depending on the industry, of course).

Anyway. That's just my take. Instead of making the big switch from full time work to full time stay at home mom, you might want to cut back slowly and give your family time to adjust the budget.

My husband went into business for himself (as an attorney) about 3 years ago, and I quit my job to raise our kids that year, and had to tap into our savings for about 7 months. For the next year, we got by on bare bones minimums. Now, in year 3, we are by no means "rich," but we finally are feeling breaks from month-to-month financial pressure.

hOt_moMMa1308
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:01 PM
There is a market for crafts online..you should check out etsy its a way that you could put your art for sale and see how it works out for ya if you are making money from there to at least cover expenses then maybe it could be something that you could do full time...ive been a sahm for 8yrs and trying to figure out what to do with myself now that my youngest will be in school for most of the day..goodluck to you!
ladybugchick317
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:01 AM

I have a shop on storenvy for my crafts but i have closed it temporarily until I can get some things made to put on it.

Quoting hOt_moMMa1308: There is a market for crafts online..you should check out etsy its a way that you could put your art for sale and see how it works out for ya if you are making money from there to at least cover expenses then maybe it could be something that you could do full time...ive been a sahm for 8yrs and trying to figure out what to do with myself now that my youngest will be in school for most of the day..goodluck to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN