Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Any pet mommies?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 5:55 AM
  • 17 Replies

Our family just got our first pet 2 weeks ago, a dog that we named Jeter.... Only thing is Jeter seems to be permantly attached to my hubs.  He follows him around, will answer to him over anyone else, and seems to listen to him and no one else.  Now I know dogs do that with their "men" from time to time but I can't leave out the fact that Jeter wakes up if my hubs leaves the house and he will wine while he's gone. And then if he does happen to go back to sleep he'll wake up when he comes back.... He'll wine if he's up and my hubs isn't in the same room.  My oldest has picked up on it and wonders why Jeter loves daddy more then her.... I try to explain it's a dog thing and it doesn't mean he loves daddy more he's a dog but I'm starting to wonder now too.  Jeter is a good dog but is it normal for a dog to be THAT close to only the male of the family????

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 5:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

The dog will always attach more to ONE person in the house. Dogs will naturally attach to the "leader of the pack" in your case, I will go ahead and guess that your husband is the biggest person in your household, he also has a deeper voice and a certain stature and authority to him.  Your dog is probably not an alpha male and is somewhat submissive so he sees your husband as his whole world.   He is also a puppy, give it time. 

I had a dog for 15 1/2 years - and the dog attached to me.  She would listen to me over my husband (who was much bigger than me, deeper voice etc) she would try to crawl under a fence if I was on the other side.  She had separation anxiety.  We were deeply connected.  She would refuse to leave with anyone but me if I was in the general area.  And she was like that all the way till the end.   I also have a German shepherd who does that.  I had her professionally trained and it cracked the trainer up.  He shook his head and said she's such a mama's girl.  Even to this day my husband calls, nothing.  I call she comes running ... although she LOVES my daughter, and DD can do anything with her, she will not sleep in DD's room for the night she insists on sleeping in our bedroom.

KyliesMom5
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Is your husband the one that mainly takes care of Jeter?
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 2, 2014 at 3:22 PM

All our pets are the same. 1 dog, 3 cats they all LOVE dh and tolerate the rest of us.

mommy2girls0506
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Thanks ladies Jeter is a good dog and I think it's a man and dog thing.  Yesterday when my hubs was at class I made sure to spend a lot of time with Jeter and he really did warm up and show me a whole lot of love.  The girls too.  I think he's just a daddy boy and that's fine my hubs is in a house of girls so it's a good thing to have his boy.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Dogs do seem to pick their favorite person. But to cry when they leave, that's new to me. I have had dogs for years.  Lol

mommy2girls0506
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Yea I think it was just at the start he has gotten much better in the weeks since.  At first he clicked with my hubs and he is closer with him but Jeter has now warmed up to us all and gets lots of loving now.

Quoting Janet:

Dogs do seem to pick their favorite person. But to cry when they leave, that's new to me. I have had dogs for years.  Lol

smgremminger
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
We have two cats and a parrot
StreetsAhead
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:06 AM

dogs do that

We have one

Has become very parental of the baby. and goes crazy for DH when he seems him in his running stuff (knows he is going to get a run) 

He's fickle, he switches alligences depending on what he wants

ReaperChick87
by New Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:15 AM
I have two dogs. A bull terrier.. the target dog..or spuds Mackenzie the bud light dog.. he is all about me.. loves his momma! The other is a border collie.. he loves dad.. the thing the collie does is sniffs my husbands beard.. its so funny.. he growls like a grizzly bear n its so cute.. the dogs r very close to the kids.. ill ask one of the kids mainly my son if he wants to fight.. when i hit him n the arm.. its not hard they look at me like ohh u did not just hit my kid!.. my dogs r my kids.. I tell everyone I have 5 kids two step daughters a son and two son dogs.. lol..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)