Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How can I ease tornado trauma?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:06 PM
  • 12 Replies

Last spring a tornado touched down a few streets away from our home. It was only an EF-2. So it was scary, but it could have been much worse. Since then my children are terrified of even the distant sound of thunder.  My 8 year old woke up in tears because of thunder. We are supposed to get some bad storms through tomorrow night. I turned on the weather last night and we all snuggled on the couch. I showed them the storm on the radar & where we were. I explained that it was just a thunderstorm and it would be over soon. That helped a little and calmed them down enough that they were able to go back to bed after it was over. But, there has to be something else I can do. 

Has anyone else gone through this with their kids? I need some help! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EarlGrayHot
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Build a storm shelter is what you can do.  Anyone who  lives in tornado alley should have a shelter or safe room.  Let your kids help you plan it if you don't have one and help you stock it when it's done.  Pick a safe room for now and improve it as you can.  And don't forget to include any pets you may have in you planning.  Good luck!

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 2, 2014 at 3:06 PM

The storm shelter is a good idea if you have a safe place to use.

Idk if this would help or make it worse but often people are afraid of what they don't understand so maybe watch a tornado/storm documentary with him???

Time heals.

Sorry, I'm no help really.

nana776
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I went through this with my kids. We put together an emergency tote with flashlights, battery operated lanterns, emergency food supplies and water. We then had a few tornado drills. We had to use the bathroom/bathtub as a shelter. Just knowing there was a plan seemed to help. We also came up with silly ideas of what thunder really was. (Angels bowling, a giant dropped a bowl, the clouds where fighting, etc)

We also learned more about the science of thunderstorms and tornados as they got older.

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:07 PM
We rent so we can't really do much as far as a storm shelter. We unfortunately don't have a basement.

I'm not sure on the documentary thing. It could go either way knowing him. I may see what books I can find at the library about storms.

Quoting goddess99:

Idk if this would help or make it worse but often people are afraid of what they don't understand so maybe watch a tornado/storm documentary with him???

Time heals.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:13 PM
That's a good idea. We have a combined bathroom/ laundry room downstairs that is our safe place. I could put supplies in one of the cabinets though. We practiced what to do a few times last summer when we moved in. But it wouldn't hurt to go through it again now that we are back in storm season.

The silly ideas would be perfect for my 3 year old.
Thanks!

Quoting nana776:

I went through this with my kids. We put together an emergency tote with flashlights, battery operated lanterns, emergency food supplies and water. We then had a few tornado drills. We had to use the bathroom/bathtub as a shelter. Just knowing there was a plan seemed to help. We also came up with silly ideas of what thunder really was. (Angels bowling, a giant dropped a bowl, the clouds where fighting, etc)

We also learned more about the science of thunderstorms and tornados as they got older.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM

It's hard when you don't have a basement. Where we used to live we didn't have one either. I used to worry about what we would ever do.

Quoting splatz: We rent so we can't really do much as far as a storm shelter. We unfortunately don't have a basement. I'm not sure on the documentary thing. It could go either way knowing him. I may see what books I can find at the library about storms.
Quoting goddess99:

Time heals.

preacherskid
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I went through it as a child.  From about a year old to the summer after first grade we lived in Kansas, right in tornado alley.  Honestly, I still get nervous during severe weather.  When we were kids my mom explained how tornadoes form, what the signs are to watch for.  Knowing how to recognize them gave me a bit of confidence in myself, and kept me from panicking with every single storm.

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:35 PM
When I was a kid a tornado caused major damage to my neighborhood. Since then storms always make me anxious. I am able to stay calm around them. But I think they still sense it. I don't want them to have to deal with the fear their whole lives.

I think I'm going to get some books to help them understand them.

Quoting preacherskid:

I went through it as a child.  From about a year old to the summer after first grade we lived in Kansas, right in tornado alley.  Honestly, I still get nervous during severe weather.  When we were kids my mom explained how tornadoes form, what the signs are to watch for.  Knowing how to recognize them gave me a bit of confidence in myself, and kept me from panicking with every single storm.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:04 PM

We're in an area where tornado activity is possible too.....We pray and talk things over....from your post sounds like what you did was a help.

RocknRoll.Rose
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Have a tornado drill. Take them to the safe place where you go for tornadoes and teach them exactly what to do. Have flashlights and other safety supplies in there and then that way they will feel prepared. That was what I did for my brother when we had a small fire. We did fire drills and bought a fire extinguisher. 

reading   playing soccer   boy n girl

Melody       Conner Wyatt and Tabitha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN