Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Can You Imagine Leaving a Toddler Home Alone?!

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:18 PM
  • 16 Replies

3-Year-Old Dies After His Mother Leaves Him Home Alone for 20 Hours

by Adriana Velez

megan mckeonWe lost another innocent child to a parent's thoughtless neglect. Three-year-old Austin Davis died after his mom left him home alone for 20 hours. Megan McKeon left on a Wednesday to work at a grocery store, but she didn't head straight home afterward. By the time she got home, she found him lying on his back, eyes open but showing no signs of life. McKeon was arrested and charged with child abuse resulting in death, which is a felony. The thing is this was completely avoidable.

McKeon is living like a single mother because Austin's dad, Tyler Davis, is in prison for failing to register as a sex offender. (He was arrested for offering teenage girls money for sex.) So if she has to go to work and can't afford childcare, what else could she do? Maybe she didn't have family nearby to help ...?

But nope, she doesn't have that excuse. McKeon's mother says she would have been happy to watch Austin while Megan worked. Charity O'Konski says, "All she had to do was call me. There’s no ifs, ands, or buts to what happened, it’s her fault no matter what happened. She is accountable for that baby."

Not only did McKeon leave her son home alone for work, after work she went and stayed the night at her boyfriend's house. She left her son with food, juice, and a movie -- and thought everything would be just fine. And this was something like the 20th time she'd done this. Twenty other incidents of neglect she'd gotten away with, but this one time it ended in tragedy. It was inevitable.

A doctor who tried to revive Austin believes he may have ingested some medication or drugs. Investigators say McKeon's cabin was a total disaster, with half-eaten food and human waste everywhere.

It's astounding that McKeon would think a 3-year-old could be all right by himself for 20 hours. Anyone who has ever known a 3-year-old knows how unrealistic that is -- you can't leave a 3-year-old alone for five minutes! Some people are just delusional, though. Some people will justify things that defy logic. It's terrible that this time, someone's delusion ended in the death of a child.

Why do you think McKeon didn't just ask her mom to watch her son?

How often did you check up on your toddlers if they were out of your sight?

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TattooLoveShow
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM
this is horrible I wont even leave my son to go get the mail. much less 20 hours!
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope she rots in prison for the rest of her life.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I would of checked on the child daily if I was the Mom

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Wow.. some women just should not breed.  I've heard of free range parenting but this is just stupidity.  

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Agreed.  I mean this is stupidity beyond anything I've ever heard... who in the blue hell leaves a 3 year old alone, and for 20 hours ?????????  And to learn that she's done this about 20 times before is just appaling.  WOW I don't even let my 10 year old stay home alone WTF !

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Wow.. some women just should not breed.  I've heard of free range parenting but this is just stupidity.  

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:41 PM

WTH??! I am nervous to let my 3 year old watch a movie in the other room while I nap. I can't imagine ever thinking it would be ok to leave a child that age home alone! 

youngmomma863
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:39 PM
This is disgusting. How could a mother leave her toddler alone for that long?? I wouldn't leave any of my children (2 year old twins and a week old) alone in the house for even a minute.
astar4u
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:19 AM
+shakes head+ when I was living in Baton Rouge a 19 year old gave birth in the New Orleans hospital all alone.... when they called for someone to pick her up....... they found she had no living relatives listed... so a service dropped her off at home and she's there this me when they brought her inside... there were 4 toddlers under the age of 4..... all hers she had left all 4 of them to go in the hospital and have another!!!! how the hell did she make a living? prostitution?

celestegood
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:50 AM
I don't get people. Poor guy. May he RIP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I maybe overwatched my kids when they were young. They were never out of my sight (unless with a sitter which was very rare) for a minute. Too much can happen even when I'd turn my back for a second it seemed like the twins were always into something new! LOL This article seriously makes me ill. I may get bashed but people like this should be sterolized so no other innocent child has that same fate....angry

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN