Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Chores*

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 4:42 PM
  • 16 Replies
Do u do chores for your kids? Is so what do you do?

Also.
Do u do a behavior chart of some sort? If so can u give me some ideas?
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I did when my son was younger like 4-5 just to get him in the habit. Now that he is 8 he knows his chores are cleaning up after himself, cleaning his room, putting away his laundry, etc. 

He earns chances to earn money by doing some "extras" though. Like helping me stuff diapers, vacuuming, and helping load/unload the dishwasher. 

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:51 PM

How old are the children you are wanting to do this for? That may help with suggestions. :) 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Yes, they clean their room. Dust, sometimes run the vacuum.

hadleykubenka
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:34 PM
They are dd3 and sd5 we have ds full time and I feel that it's time to learn some responsibility.

Quoting splatz:

How old are the children you are wanting to do this for? That may help with suggestions. :) 

othermom
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Yes my kids do chores. My older two are almost 11 and 8 and do the dishes 1-2 times a week(no pans) sweep the bathrooms once a week. They clean up after the dogs once a month(I do it other times) All three kids, my youngest is 4, clean their rooms nightly and pick up after themselves, put their dirty clothes in the laundry, put away their clean clothes, dishes in the sink, take out small garbages, and stuff like that.   They all also help stack fire wood, bring in firewood, they help me in the garden, I have started to teach my oldest to do laundry, they help fold clothes sometimes, and other stuff

ambermario4ever
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM

yes they both have chores. they both have to keep their rooms clean, make thier beds, pick up the playroom everyday, and put away thier clean clothes. my daughter has to keep thier bathroom clean, empty thier trash can, and help clear the dinner table. my son has to put in a new trash bag in their can when it needs one, and help set the table for dinner. if they do something extra without being asked then they earn a quater. we have a behavior chart with thier chores on it. it also has brush teeth, homework, and good behavior on it. when they do a chore they or whatever it may be they get a smily face. if they do it but complain they get a so so face. if they dont do it or have a complete melt down about it or get a note sent home from school or something they get a frowny face. my kids are seven and five. 

Sarah      10-16-06                                     Luciano 11-27-08

Jinx-Troublex3
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
We do chores and responsibilities. Chores are things I think are my job as a SAHM that we pay the kids to do. Chore assigned to the kids are load/unload the dishwasher, sort and take out recycling, cat litter, doggie dookie duty, feed the dog, sweep/mop, etc.
Each of the 3 kids can make $5 a week if they do their jobs.

Responsibilities are things everyone must do to care for themselves. Keeping your stuff picked up, cleaning your room, sorting and putting away your clothes are your job!

Everyone helps bring in and put away groceries and everyone sets and clears the table because..well...everyone eats!
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:25 AM

My DD has the very basic chore of cleaning her room, it has to be done every week.  She also has to bring her dirty laundry to the hamper and take her own bedding off her bed to have it washed. She puts her clean laundry away (sometimes I fold it, sometimes she folds her own)  it's everyone's duty in the house to refill the dogs' dishes with food or water if they are empty.

Once in a while I will ask her as she vaccuums her room to also vacuum the hallway and bathroom while she's at it.  She has done dishes before out of her own will, and I have started to teach her how to do laundry. But it's not something I expect her to do regularly.  She sets the table and sometimes she helps me prepare meals.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:33 AM

as far as behavior charts yes I've done that before.   I just bought a standard montly calendar on good days we was allowed to put a sticker on it, on bad days she would get an X.  Personally we worked towards a goal.  That goal was 15 sticker in a row, would get her a new Monster High Doll.  An X would bring the count back down to 0. That was my choice since Monster Highs are kinda pricey.   You can also do cumulative stickers and tally them up at the end of the month and depending on the amount, settle on a reward. This system works well.   

DD's teacher last year also had a similar system in class where the students would accumulate points.  Points were on tickets, like dollars (1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50) they were given as the teacher saw fit.  For good behavior, homeword turned in early, a beautiful drawing, good grades.  And there was a chart on the wall.  50 points you could trade in for : chewing gum in class, special priviledge etc...  if you accumulated them to 200 you could go 1 week without homework.

splatz
by Sarah on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Melissa & Doug makes a really cute chore chart. It would probably be good for that age. You can see the different things on there & could always use the examples to make your own chart. 

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Magnetic-Responsibility/dp/B000NTZL7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397061234&sr=8-1&keywords=chore+chart

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN