Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Does Your Husband 'Babysit' Your Kids?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:22 AM
  • 9 Replies

Kendra Wilkinson Has Some Choice Words for Dads Who 'Babysit' Their Kids

by Suzee Skwiot

dads are not babysittingWhat's the difference between a parent and a babysitter? As a former sitter, who spent a large portion of her teenage weekends caring for the neighbors' kids, I can tell you the one clear distinction: you parent your own kids and babysit others.

Yet time and time again, we've seen fathers "babysitting" their children. So let's get one thing straight. Whether you're a mother or a father, you're never "babysitting" your children. You're "parenting."

One of our favorite mommas, Kendra Wilkinson, shared some wise (and slightly naughty!) words on Twitter earlier today:

Kendra Wilkinson         @KendraWilkinson 

Fuck anyone who thinks that a man taking care of his child is considered "babysitting". Sick of hearing that. 😉

Amen, girl! And good for Kendra for standing up! Her husband Hank doesn't babysit little Hank, nor will he babysit the one in her tummy. He'll parent them. 

Women who let their husbands get away with saying that they're "babysitting the kids" are doing a disservice to their entire family. Dads are not babysitters.

No matter how you slice it, the statement is demeaning towards both parents. For one, it implies that the fathers graciously allowed the mothers out of the house by taking care of their kids. And secondly, it suggests that fathers are not able to parent their children to the extent that mothers can.

And clearly, neither is true. So ladies, it's alright to take a firm stance on dads "babysitting." Simply, don't let them. After all, you don't leave them a $20 on the table and check their references before you leave them with the kids.

Has your husband ever said he was babysitting?

What did you say to him?

by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM

I don't get the big deal, honestly.  I wouldn't leave DD alone with DH if I didn't trust that he could care for her and I wouldn't leave her with a babysitter if I couldn't trust them either.  Generally if DH is watching DD while I'm out it's a rare occassion and it's only for a few hours.  Yes, he's her parent and he does a great job parenting her but I am the her main care taker because I'm a SAHM.  So if he says he's babysitting I'm not worried that he's doing less of a job as a parent than if he said he was parenting.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Apr. 12, 2014 at 2:05 PM

No he hasnt..thank goodness!

KREX0914
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 2:55 PM

If all the parent did that day was make the kids a PB&J and stick them in front of the TV with little further interaction, then the parent "babysat" that day, regardless of the biological relationship to the children.

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 2:57 PM
No my husband does not "babysit" his kids. He is a very hands on dad and spends a lot of time with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cakklove
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM

No, my husband is my daughter's step dad and doesn't even consider it babysitting.  Even when we were dating and not living together and he watched her, he never considered it babysitting.

Sigmalade
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 3:29 PM

He has never said babysit. We have a family friend and we watch her son sometimes and he doesn't say babysit. It's just the guys getting together!

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 12, 2014 at 4:36 PM

I don't recall my dh ever using that term when we watched my dd (his stepdd).

HIJKLM
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 4:38 PM
My hubby's never said that. I agree, parents parent their own children and babysit other people's kids
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Not really...he's good with the children though...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)